• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Multiquip DCA-70ssju4i water in fuel system damaged engine?

duffdog

Hi,

first post here, but this seems like a good place to ask about my machines. I have several DCA-70ssju4i machines with the 4045hfg92 motor installed. One of them has had a catastrophic failure due to somehow getting a huge amount of water in the fuel system when it was running under load. The machine abruptly stopped and showed some codes regarding "persistent water in fuel system", "undercrank speed sd" etc. All fuel was removed, polished and returned to the machine with new filters and a new fuel temp sensor. Even now, the machine will crank and start, but will not get over 600rpm. Eventually the pcm shuts it down, but my mechanic is baffled as to what could be the issue. After the FTS was installed, the pcm spits out no codes with service advisor connected, yet the machine continues to run like crap for a short time. I should mention that this machine has had a new denso pump installed a few years ago and is a high-hour machine (22,000hours). Any clue as to what I should try next?

thank you for any help

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Water can do some real damage on HPCR fuel systems. Might look into getting the injectors tested.

Did you get the fuel system apart enough to get all the contaminated fuel out of the fuel injection system past the filters?

Txhayseed

Define catastrophic ?? If you have service advisor software then you can answer all your own questions. Whats your rail pressure actual verse demand % have you ran a compression check using service advisor ? Injector buzz test and counterbalance return rate test ? Everything you need to diagnose the problem at hand is all right in the software. I would suspect the injectors where knocked out. Also with that many hrs compression will add to bad starting with bad injectors. You can do all your injector tests with in service advisor.

duffdog

Hi. In answer to the questions - We did attempt to re-use the fuel, but then dumped all of it in favor of brand new fuel. No change to the engine response. With service advisor connected, there are no codes showing, but rail pressure is 120,000psi. Since the machine will not exceed 500rpm, no "diagnostic" functions can be performed, you cannot run a comp test, return rate test or any "test" which requires the engine to spin fast enough to initiate the test. It it almost like the computer simply is not sending any signals to the injectors even though the computer thinks it is doing so.

duffdog

Update: After taking it to 2 mechanics and the dealer, who just now informed me that it cannot be repaired for less than the cost of buying a completely new engine. I am scrapping the machine. Thank you for any help you have given.

TVA

I am just curious - what was the main reason to “total” the machine?!?!
Was a crankshaft gone, or the engine block in pieces?
Or simply high pressure fuel pump and injectors needed to be replaced (which is more than 100% understandable with water in fuel)?

I don’t know your situation - but it seems like two mechanics you have talked about are pretty ignorant, or might be even dumb!
As when it comes to the dealer - no surprises there!

TVA

The rebuild/exchange is $3500-$4000 all over the internet for those. The question is about the quality of that rebuild - but anyway!

That one is already generator engine ( at least was built as one from the beginning, by the code). You can buy generators or screw compressors with those in them - still running for around $1500.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I had one of these come to me with HPCR problems and muddled through it with help from on here once I wiped the dirt off where the diag messages come up. They had a 30 micron filter primary and secondary and the innards of the HPCR that I touched were covered in mud like the insides of an old irrigation water pump. Once I fixed the problems that thing took off and ran just like anything and still runs to this day AFAIK. Although with a bit of smoke haze to be expected from treating the injectors and system like that. All this to say I have seen HPCR systems take some abuse and still work.

duffdog

The rebuild/exchange is $3500-$4000 all over the internet for those. The question is about the quality of that rebuild - but anyway!

That one is already generator engine ( at least was built as one from the beginning, by the code). You can buy generators or screw compressors with those in them - still running for around $1500.
I would love an exchange engine. The problem does not seem to be the engine at all, it appears to have good compression, all parts are present and working and it has 4 new injectors and a new HP fuel pump. The only un-solvable issue is that the mechanics and dealer just can't seem to get the ECM to work. 2 mechanics and the dealer stated that: "they can't get the payload file to load." Its currently at the dealer and they are attempting an install of a 3rd set of new injectors. After spending 12k on 2 failed repairs, I am upset that nobody can figure this machine out.

TVA

Interesting thing is going on with my customer right now: he has 310SG and 310SJ. Both running OK, both had problems with right side turn knuckles ( serious problems), that I have recently kinda-fixed, both need bushings replaced on backhoe and the loader. But both start and run like champs! And not asking any questions!

His idea is to trade both of them in, for one brand new one. Which I think is pretty dumb!
To trade TWO working units ( abs he has 7 dump truck drivers and 4 machine operators), for one?!?! The only why he still didn’t do that - because JD have didly-squat fir equipment for sale, and have no
Idea when they will have anything.

I told him if he must trade something - trade the 310SJ, because that one already CRD engine in it. The 310SG theoretically can be “re pumped” from computer run injection pump, to fully mechanical one, and hooking up cable from gas pedal to the injection pump is not a huge deal.

When you get in to CRD, EGRs, DPfs and other garbage - you just opened yourself up to whole lot of misery!!!