• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MULCHER PROBLEM !!!! HELP !!!! Cat 289 with FAE mulcher flow problem.. maybe...

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
here is layout of hi flow
enable connectors circled in red for hi flow

ssl quick couplers.jpghigh flow connector.jpg

sorry added wrong photo for D series couplers

D series SSL.jpg

Last edited:

partsandservice

Maybe there is actually something wrong the the pump and/or the motor, A flow test or case drain test would be the direction to go IMHO.

Pair of Hounds

here is layout of hi flow
enable connectors circled in red for hi flow

View attachment 156066View attachment 156067

sorry added wrong photo for D series couplers

View attachment 156068

the second picture is of the oversized couplers that my 289D with single stage high flow hydraulics does not have. My mulcher came with 1" lines and oversized couplers. I wish I could change out the fittings on my 289D to the larger size or like someone said earlier, do away with them and plumb direct to see if that helps with flow...

BradAZLR

Do your connections look exactly like this?
fe1f8470804ebec5ce6a7af1de4efbc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradAZLR

Did you try jumping pin k and n on the machines electrical hook up? That will tell the machine to turn in high flow and it will show on your display when you role the thumb switch forward? If you do try to jump it be careful not to touch anything else or you'll blow out a fuse. Or you can get a high flow plug from cat if you don't want to try jumping it with a wire.

Pair of Hounds

I tried the high flow plug thats tethered to the connector and also plug on mulcher but neither made light come on when thumb was activated...

BradAZLR

Then you have some type of electrical problem either on the work tool or the machine. I keep a spare harness for my machine and work tool on my truck because they do go bad from the wires rubbing together or the wire breaking. You can get your electric meter and test for a broken wire.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Is that the exact machine you bought? Looks to me that you do not have a high flow machine. Cat is proud of their editions. Usually machines have all the stickers on the side. That machine says two speed as in two speed travel period. No more, No less.23.jpg

oarwhat

Have you tried to have Cat help you? Or whoever you bought it from? It only has 70 hours isn't it under warranty? Do you have a manual for this machine?

Cmark

Have you posted the serial number of your machine yet in this thread? With that info it should be easy to tell you what you have.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
The serial number gives us all of the technical break down. There are serial number breaks where machines have different build specs. If you post yours, it gives us a much clearer idea of what to look for.

Todd v.

Can you get your money back? Obviously the attachment you bough was misrepresented and does you no good, in others words you didn't get what you thought you were getting. I would think it would be easier and cheaper to buy a properly setup mulcher rather than buying a new motor, hoses, couplers and whatever else it will tale to make it work as it should.

lantraxco

Can you get your money back? Obviously the attachment you bough was misrepresented and does you no good, in others words you didn't get what you thought you were getting. I would think it would be easier and cheaper to buy a properly setup mulcher rather than buying a new motor, hoses, couplers and whatever else it will tale to make it work as it should.

I agree to a point, but the first thing you have to do is verify the machine is producing proper flow and pressure, if it's not then putting a different attachment on it isn't going to solve the problem. Could be nothing more than a wiring issue or hydraulic malfunction, it happens.

Todd v.

The other question that I didn't see asked, do you know the mulcher was working propey when you bought it? Did you see it working? I would think that even witha shortage on flow the mulcher wouldn't bog down in little stuff.