• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MULCHER PROBLEM !!!! HELP !!!! Cat 289 with FAE mulcher flow problem.. maybe...

lantraxco

Hi flow 289 has one flow and one return for high and standard flow circuits

I'm curious, since I have no direct experience with this machine, how do you select high flow versus standard, and is there an indicator that comes on to tell you it's enabled?

BradAZLR

No indicator just electronic plug

You should have and indicator lighting up showing the machine is in high flow mode it's number 5 in the attached picture if you don't see that your machine isn't in high flow mode.
35c0f9afa1e2e42d49e49a0754abd8b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pair of Hounds

Definitely no indicator... only indicator that comes on is continuous flow. Maybe I'm not engaging high flow. I don't see an obvious switch. Just thought the electrical jumper or plug from attachments made machine go high flow...

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
How where you able to have 2 motors? Seems like the hose sized would limit flow and get very hot. ..

Fecon/AHWI BH75 heads have mounting holes and the shaft so you can mount 2 motors. I use it on a deicated carrier not a CTL. What I was getting at is that a larger motor produces more touque which then lessons the rotor bogging which is what you were complaining of in your OP.
One other thing that causes the rotor to bog is the operator pushing the machine to hard and not allowing the mulcher to process the material in it's own time.

Pair of Hounds

Definitely a low flow problem or a flow restriction problem... even bogs at a snails pace in very light saplings. The same high flow 289D with the CAT HM315 mulcher I rented performed much much better than the FAE head I just bought. Just to refresh, thr FAE was run on a 299 D2 XHP which is 110 HP and 40 GPM. Also had 1" QC

lantraxco

Definitely no indicator... only indicator that comes on is continuous flow. Maybe I'm not engaging high flow. I don't see an obvious switch. Just thought the electrical jumper or plug from attachments made machine go high flow...

I think that's a safety deal so you don't get high flow to an attachment that can't handle it. You probably can't get high flow without the jumper, but I'm guessing you have to enable it manually somehow. Operator's manual?

I found this link:
http://heavy-equipment-world.blogspot.com/2014/01/259d-279d-289d-299d-and-299d-xhp_7423.html

Talks about engaging constant flow and then using the RH stick thumbwheel to set the flow, push it all the way up or down and hold it for three seconds, then it locks and you can let it go?

BradAZLR

Ok if that indicator is not coming then it not in high flow mode and that explains why your performance sucks. Going off memory I believe it's pin k and n that has to be jumped to activate high flow. It's also possible the wiring harness is damaged somewhere I've had to replace a few because of a broken wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Have you tried it without the QC's? just couple the hoses directly to the pipe and see what difference it make's.

f311fr1

Turn your flow knob to the right. Look at the symbol #5, above it is a symbol fro a flow knob. Right for more flow, left for less, kind of like an AC fan.

Pair of Hounds

Does anyone know if auxiliary supply lines are thr same on the 299 XHP and 289D? If they are, then doing away with quick connects may be an option...

f311fr1

The new 299D XHP has 5 lines. One for case drain, two for high flow, two for low flow. Have you read your operators manual?

Pair of Hounds

The new 299D XHP has 5 lines. One for case drain, two for high flow, two for low flow. Have you read your operators manual?

f311fr1, your last 4 post have been incorrect or not pertaining to the subject. thanks for trying though....the 299 D XHP has 2 larger quick connects and a case drain. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...3001d1335751605-new-cat-299d-xhp-dscn1213-jpg

again, when I bought mulcher sight unseen, I was told it was setup for a 299D not a 299 D2 XHP. Big difference. The 299D is very similar to a 289D so I went ahead with the purchase . Now I am scrambling to find out what I can do to make it run properly on 289D. Whether it be electrical plug wiring, quick connect/hose sizing, pulley sizing, or motor alltogether....