• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MSP Carriages

Coastal WA

Looking for information on MSP Carriages. While motorized carriages are very popular now I still think there is a place for the MSP, you can drop it and pick it up and usually it works. Question 1 How do you keep the drop line froe wrapping around the mainline? Question 2 the inner workings - the prawl/ratchet purpose? Question 3 the drop line should be driven out of the carriage?

furpo

Hi Coastal

I assume you are refering to a dropline carrage for a three drum swing yarder. Take a look at this diagram as it shows how to rig the carrage

http://www.jlogging.com/crgreev.html

The dropline will wrap around the rear main a little. This is only an issue when feeding the dropline out if there are excesive wraps. It happens when there is twist in the rear main so undo the shaackle and untwist it.

The purpose of the paw and ratchet is to feed the dropline out. If this is not happening there is something wrong inside the carrage. Try doing up the compression spring as this maybe loose so the rope is not getting enough traction on the sheave.

Coastal WA

Thanks for the quick response. You are correct it is a drop line carriage on a swing yarder. We will try your suggestions on Monday and I will report back the results. We did just recently downsized the drop line from 3/4" to 9/16" swaged, trying to lighten the weight for the steep ground we are on.

I'm also going to have to deal with why our haul back only lasted about four months, we did just get done coming over really hard ridge about a week ago. I am wondering if we ran with too much tension. I really need to look into see if our block size is large enough also. We run 15 inch blocks when hanging on mobile tailhold, and 13 inch blocks for stump rigging. We are using 3/4" swaged for the haul back.

prolog nz

Thanks for the quick response. You are correct it is a drop line carriage on a swing yarder. We will try your suggestions on Monday and I will report back the results. We did just recently downsized the drop line from 3/4" to 9/16" swaged, trying to lighten the weight for the steep ground we are on.

I'm also going to have to deal with why our haul back only lasted about four months, we did just get done coming over really hard ridge about a week ago. I am wondering if we ran with too much tension. I really need to look into see if our block size is large enough also. We run 15 inch blocks when hanging on mobile tailhold, and 13 inch blocks for stump rigging. We are using 3/4" swaged for the haul back.

I would think the downsized rope might cause a problem, what type of carriage do you have?

do you always log on two tailhold blocks?

Coastal WA

We have a Thunderbird MSP, think it was Danebo before Thunderbird bought them. We do not always go through two tailhold blocks when on stumps. When we are on the cat for a tailhold it is two blocks, our tailhold shovel is one shiv, 24" in diameter.

furpo

Never used a Thunderbird MSP but I have used and rebuilt a Danebo. They are good for down to 1/2 inch dropline. If you didnt adjust the compression spring when you changed down this maybe your problem. If adjusting it didnt work then I have a few other common things to look at.

As for the haulback, can you take a photo of the stuffed bit of rope. The two most common rope failures are line wrap and not spooling it properly but yes if it has been rubbing on rocks it wont last very long. I run a 120 madill which uses 3/4 swage rope and we aim for at least 6 months but thats grappling. It will do this OK but I stop for linewrap. I do chuck the rope around stumps if I need to and it doesnt bother it. We use 13 inch blocks when on stumps and 15 inch block on the digger T bar. 13 inch blocks are fine for 3/4 and 5/8 rope.

What type of swing yarder is it?

Coastal WA

Our Yarder is a Thunderbird TSY155. We have been grappling with it mostly and switched to chokers for this harvest unit. The line showed several burn marks which we cutout about 300 feet on Friday when the haulback broke, I will try to take a picture and post. Have noticed the haulback wrapup, operator stops when he sees it but still happens a lot. Would like to solve the mystery of what causes the lines to wrapup, I know spitting the blocks helps.

Still working on the carriage and adjustments, will report back later on that one.

Born2clearcut

Another cause of line wrap on single block if you put half wrap in lines when changing roads. Half wrap= going wrong direction through block with haulback. This will also burn your lines up fast quite possibly cut line off near the backend. Some spots in long Yarding we have added a link to our scab block on grapple to get a little more separation between haulbacks .

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
A good way to prevent that half wrap is stand your block up the direction it will be when you're actively logging and you will never have a half wrap.