• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mowing a 3-1 slope with a ctl.

JBrady

All the front deck mowers are 2wd, the ones in the rear are just like the ones on the front on a zero turn. It was a pretty capable machine when I got it with turf tires, but I kept getting flats. I put baby skid steer tires on the drive wheels and that made a huge difference and no more flats. I don’t know the angle, but It will do off camber enough that I have to take a hand off the steering wheel and hold onto the seat to stay on. That was about enough for me, but I am sure it would have done more. What’s really great about it though is I can mow up under a tree with a low canopy and not get myself into the canopy, just like backing a brush hog under something but better than a brush hog because you don’t have to be turned around all the time to see what you are doing.

JBrady

Cool, I bet that’s a beast. The only complaint I have had on my John Deere is there is not much ground clearance. I have high centered it a few times and had to get another tractor to lift it up. I am sure 4wd would have got me out. I think John Deere quit making them at some point or if they still make them they are reel mowers for golf courses and the like.

DIYDAVE

I just looked up some info on that TRX. Cool looking machine! I saw an add that said the TRX7661 can cut up to 2" thick material. The prices are lower than I expected too.

That 2" claim is for the bush hog type deck, I have the finish deck, 5'. I get uncomfortable side-hilling more than 38º. The hill I mow on the farm is eyebrow shaped, and the best way to do it is sidehill. The way I measure the angle was to buy one of these little doo-hickies from Harbor freight, stick it on the foot rest, or other normally horizontal piece of sheet metal, to measure the angle:

https://www.harborfreight.com/dial-gauge-angle-finder-34214.html

I don't use anything with a deck over 5', anything over that seems to scalp too much!;)