• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mower Case drain location for Cat 315L

skyking1

Serial number 6ym50094

My friend has a US Mower all mounted up and needs to plumb a case drain back to the tank. The local Cat shop said something about drilling the tank or some plumbing into the cap, both ideas sound bad to me.
Is there a good return fitting he can Tee into safely with that case drain? It seems like a more elegant solution.

skyking1

OK I have looked at the file. Perhaps follow the case drain from the swing motor to as close as possible to the tank?
Would you want a check valve on the swing motor side, to keep from sending anything that way?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I think I would disconnect the swing motor case drain line and see how much flow there is in it considering the diameter of the hose. Assume double that flow if the swing motor fails and then look at the flow from the mower motor. If you think it’s ok then simply tee them together. I would worry putting a check valve in one or both lines for the back pressure it would create.

As an example look at the case drains from the travel motors. They both join at the swivel and return to the tank as a single line. No reason why you can’t duplicate that up top with the swing motor and the mower case drains.

Last edited:

skyking1

I was thinking that same thing, see what the swing motor puts out into a 2 liter bottle. Do the same with the mower.
I think a filter-ish on the mower is a good bet though.

skyking1

Same machine, he is seeing one of his rollers is starting to leak. Is it at all practical to add lubricant to a track roller to extend the life?