1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Moving excavator

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by Sk1970, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Sk1970

Sk1970 Member

Have 102” wide lowboy 26’ well. Moving 325 11’ 1” wide haven’t been using any outrigger but it getting cold frozen material on pads. What type wood are people using for planks and how long are the planks you use. Thanks

2. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

White oak will last the longest, and usually 16'

Truck Shop likes this.
  3. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Find a hammer and knock the crap off the pads.

skyking1 and Truck Shop like this.
  4. mx727

mx727 Well-Known Member

See if anyone in your area rips old telephone poles in to 2x planks.

5. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Oak for outriggers. Depending on how thick your brackets are set up to use a 16’ might be more than you want to handle lol. Mine are 10’ or so. Measure your outrigger spacing and make sure the length you choose catches one at each end, especially the front so you don’t track over and pop it up. Also, have them cut about 1-1/2” narrower than your brackets so you can still get a hook into the flange of side rail for tie down should you need it.

Jonas302, petepilot, DMiller and 2 others like this.
  6. skyking1

skyking1 Well-Known Member

Pretty much this, I will take a weedburner to loosen up the frozen crap if needed. If you sit back far enough, you can safely thaw out door locks with a weedburner too.

DMiller likes this.
  7. suladas

suladas Senior Member

Depending on location that might work, but here it's not possible in the winter. When it gets down to -30 or colder they are frozen so solid it would take hours upon hours to have any hope of getting the pads clean, and as soon as the machine spends 30 mins at the next job they will be just as full again.

8. skyking1

you do have that going for you. Here, it does approach freezing during the daytime thaws.

9. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

If the hoe is your only load consider making guide rails on the inside of the tracks
    Winter gets sketchy whether you clean the pads or not outriggers are a pain and if she gets sliding they may not help last ones we had were 3" white oak around 10 feet long a little taller than the deck to try to keep things on the trailer

skyking1 likes this.
  10. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

It absolutely is possible. I've had to knock the pads off 4 times in one day before. It pretty much is the worst day of your life if you are alone, luckily I had Dad there that worked one side while I worked the other. 8 lb sledge knocks the pads clean. Yes, they are packed full again in 30 minutes, but if you've ever slid off a trailer and laid one over on the cab, you will make sure they are clean before crawling up the ramps ever again.

skyking1 likes this.
  11. skyking1

"If the hoe is your only load consider making guide rails on the inside of the tracks"

great idea. Maybe build some rails and sockets for them, like stake sides. I remember sliding off a tilt trailer many years ago in winter with a small dozer. Not so much fun. No harm but less drama is always welcome.

12. skyking1

I did one job on clay that it took us 3 hours to get most of it out. The job was a Cat dealer, the whole building was on grade beams because of that clay. I had to cover the "Deere" logo on the boom and counterweight to dig the job. They could have provided a Cat for me? :D