• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Moving dirt

Rlh constructio

We finally got the job done. We done it with sum heavy set up dump trucks that high lift gates and demo round bottom bodies. They done great but it's hard to keep nice trucks nice in the pit We used some triaxles with rough beds. They hauled more back than they did in. It would of been great if we wasn't breaking records on the amount of rain we have had. My sandy red clay with a soiled rock bottom and rain didn't work to well together. But all in all the 5g was a little to small and we had to push bigger lifts and that didn't help much but we got it done and the base on it. They are laying asphalt next week. image.jpg

Rlh constructio

The job calls for 30000 cuyds what is your opinion on how much you haul vs how much you actually get to then job and compacted If you figure 16 yds a load on big dump trucks then I hauled
About 65000 yds. I know you loose a lot in compaction
And mosture but how much 15% 25% 50%. A old dirt man told me buy 20 get 10. That may be true

Oxbow

The job calls for 30000 cuyds what is your opinion on how much you haul vs how much you actually get to then job and compacted If you figure 16 yds a load on big dump trucks then I hauled
About 65000 yds. I know you loose a lot in compaction
And mosture but how much 15% 25% 50%. A old dirt man told me buy 20 get 10. That may be true

I have data from a job that we did in which we averaged roughly 15 cubic yards (bank) on 30 ton ADT's. 16 cubic yards on a highway dump truck would seem way optimistic to me, unless you are hauling sand or gravel with little to no swell, in which case the trucks would not last long under that weight.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
On 20 CY triaxles I estimate 14 bank CY, 10 for 15/16 CY tandems.

Shimmy1

CM is using 30% compaction factor. That's what I use for gravel, sticky clay is not that good. Loading with an excavator, that dirt is as loose as it can be in the box. If it's chunky/slabby to boot, 50% might be reality. Another factor is who did the survey for the estimate? I have NEVER had an import fill job come out even factoring in 30-40% onto the estimate for compaction. Uneven terrain can make you look silly real quick. Sometimes I think engineers subtract 20% from their estimate to screw the contractor.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
CM is using 30% compaction factor. That's what I use for gravel, sticky clay is not that good. Loading with an excavator, that dirt is as loose as it can be in the box. If it's chunky/slabby to boot, 50% might be reality. Another factor is who did the survey for the estimate? I have NEVER had an import fill job come out even factoring in 30-40% onto the estimate for compaction. Uneven terrain can make you look silly real quick. Sometimes I think engineers subtract 20% from their estimate to screw the contractor.

I use a bank CY which is the same as the compacted volume of the fill material. Posted that on my iPhone and I should've went into more detail.

When I estimate a job I do my own take off on yardage, I never just use the engineers estimate. I'll use the engineers estimate, if there is one, only to check my numbers against.

So let's say I estimate a job to need 1,000 CY of import and I know what the density in PCF of the material I'm importing from a proctor. The heavier the material the lower the swell or compaction rate will be, conversely for the lighter material. The engineered fill material in my area averages 115-125 PCF.

If the job takes 1,000 CY, I'll add a waste factor to the number anywhere from 15-40% depending on the accuracy of the plans, job site visit, etc. After that number is calculated which is the job total, then I use the 14 CY per tri and 10 CY per tandem to calculate how many truck loads I'll need, figure the time, dirt cost and loading, then you have a cost per CY which will get the standard project mark-up O&P (10-20%) on top of that. Depending on the material, I'll adjust the yardage hauled on the trucks which is always adjusted down not up.

As you said Shimmy, importing fill on a hard contract can eat your lunch if you don't estimate it closely. I obviously prefer the jobs that pay by the CY of import or export but those jobs are few and far between.:cool:

Rlh constructio

We have had some trouble with compaction The material has been really wet and we are deep in the ground getting the better material. The whole job is built above solid sandstone rock so it does absorb much and at the toe stays wet It's made it ruff and when we are breaking rain records this year doesn't help. I often wonder how much I'm loosing when our big heavy triaxles are making ruts 6in in the ground. My material weighs 1.6 Ton per cuyd I have enjoyed the job but when the engineers are pushing and they don't have a understand for what is to wet. But we have it done and it made money so I'm happy. Thank all of y'all for all the advice