1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Moving Dead John Deere 790 Excavator

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by Jon Bradtke, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Jon Bradtke

Jon Bradtke Member

Hello all,

Please excuse my inexperience as I am new to the heavy equipment area. We found a great deal on a John deere 790 excavator. Engine runs great and the excavator appears to be in great shape. This excavator has two main hydraulic pumps (3,770 psi each 63.4 gpm) and a small pilot pump. One of the hydraulic pumps is dead and I need to get this thing loaded on a lowboy and transported 30 miles to our shop. I don't have access to another excavator or heavy equipment to move it. How can I get this thing moving? My first thoughts were to either plumb in a tractor PTO hydraulic pump (approx 2,500 psi) or to try and run the entire excavator off of one main pump. Please help as we really want to get this excavator moved on a lowboy and to our farm for some much needed work!!!

Any help would be great!!

-Jon

2. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    I have heard of hooking external hydraulic source directly to the track drive motors and walking them that way. Might be an option if other functions work. You may also be able to tie into the other pump with tee's and valves and run the tracks off the other pump and control. Why not change the pump where it is now before you move it?

3. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    I firmly suggest you change the pump before you do any further damage. It's very likely it will have debris in the hydraulic system now and running it will only make a big bill huge. The other option is to run away from it, fast.

mikebramel likes this.
  4. Jon Bradtke

Jon Bradtke Member

I cannot work on it where it is. It's located at the sellers friends farm. He wants it moved asap. I realize running the dead pump is a bad idea and I don't plan on it. The idea of a external hydraulic system seems like the best idea. Does anyone know someone who has done this??

5. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

I would pull the sun gears and use a cable, snatch blocks, and some other machine to pull it on the lowboy. With a few snatch blocks you can use most anything to get it on the lowboy. A good backhoe would probably pull it up there direct if you use a drop-neck or long ramps. For that matter, if you use a drop-neck, you could use the tractor that pulls the lowboy to pull it up there. If you have enough blocks, you could load it with a 4-wheeler.

I wouldn't try to move it under it's own power until it's cleaned out. A little debris in the lines and you can easily do more damage than the value of a 790.

Ronsii likes this.
  6. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    I would get a price to move it from some one that scraps old equipment

7. Former Wrench

Former Wrench Senior Member

Retired
    Bls's reply made me think that maybe a heavy lift salvage wrecker from the area might be another idea for a bid.