• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

movie set in my town

Westfolk

You seem to know alot about the movie...could you confirm that the movie is infact based off of a CSX incident in Ohio where the engineer jumped from the train to throw a switch and before he got off the train he thought he had set all three of the brake systems but mistakenly set the throttle in the 8th notch positon and it took off?

Also where are you located.....I was just wondering if you were near me. I might actually know you especially being that you have an interest in heavy equipment

Rueben. I only know as much as I do from talking to different guys making the movie and searching the internet. But, yes it is based on the crazy eights incident....CSX engine 8888.....that left the Toledo yard without its engineer. I wanted to contact you personally. However, the site will not let my send you an email. Wanted to talk to you regarding your photos. As far as my location.....if I said Turtlepoint, and alot of military trucks....does that mean anything to you?

Reuben

Rueben. I only know as much as I do from talking to different guys making the movie and searching the internet. But, yes it is based on the crazy eights incident....CSX engine 8888.....that left the Toledo yard without its engineer. I wanted to contact you personally. However, the site will not let my send you an email. Wanted to talk to you regarding your photos. As far as my location.....if I said Turtlepoint, and alot of military trucks....does that mean anything to you?

lol:) ya I got ya......Close to Busty Hearts strip joint....I am sure that place ups your property value

Westfolk

lol:) ya I got ya......Close to Busty Hearts strip joint....I am sure that place ups your property value

And the kicker is.........I've never been in there. Drive by it who knows how many times a week.

I just got an email letting me know that tomorrow...11-06-09...they are filming in Howard, PA. They have yet again changed what they are doing. Don't get me wrong, they don't tell everyone what there next move is, but they were to be moved to Bellaire, OH by now. The weather did set them back some. So who knows this may have been something on the list that hadn't got done.
Short notice, not to far of a drive, and I'm not really doing anything tomorrow, so I may go get some more videos. Plus my source tells me that Denzel, and Chris will be doing alot of work on the outside, in plain view around the locomotives. Who knows.

Reuben

And the kicker is.........I've never been in there. Drive by it who knows how many times a week.

I just got an email letting me know that tomorrow...11-06-09...they are filming in Howard, PA. They have yet again changed what they are doing. Don't get me wrong, they don't tell everyone what there next move is, but they were to be moved to Bellaire, OH by now. The weather did set them back some. So who knows this may have been something on the list that hadn't got done.
Short notice, not to far of a drive, and I'm not really doing anything tomorrow, so I may go get some more videos. Plus my source tells me that Denzel, and Chris will be doing alot of work on the outside, in plain view around the locomotives. Who knows.

I would careless about Denzel and Chris Pine,The guy I would love to sit down and talk to is Fred North the Helicopter pilot.He is known at one of the best helicopter pilots in the world...Check out his web site......
www.fred-north.com

mule

Xcellent thread but not a lot of plant though and in all my years I never saw a digger fly,though I saw many a young operator try to get them in the air without wings.

Westfolk

I wish you would have let me know that Rueden. See this vid.

YouTube - AWVR...Unstoppable...More filming in Tyrone, PA 7 of 9

The guy piloting the second chopper to land came over to talk to me and the other guy standing there filming. Don't know if that was Fred, of if he was flying the first one that landed.

I don't know what Fred looks like, but this guy had blond hair and had to be in his 50's. I would have filmed the chat we had and asked him something for you.

They are all gone now. They have a few days of filming in Bellaire, OH and then the rest is in studio work in Pitt.

D5G

just saw the it, 10 out of 10, absolutely awesome movie! the only thing is, it isn't Denzel that drives the pickup, those trucks are awesome as well.

Last edited:

Reuben

I have not seen it yet...my brother did though and said it was really good. Because he know the area he said it was neat to see how they filmed the train going both north and south on the railroad tracks here but in the movie it was only headin in the southern direction. He also said the explosion looked kinda fake in the movie but I assure you the explosion was real...The flames were well over a hundered feet in the air!!! I hope to go see it this week. I plan on lookin at all of my pics I took of them filming the movie before I go to see how much they edit.

D5G

I didn't think the explosion looked fake at all, but really cool. I looked up the 'Crazy Eights' Incident, which the movie was based on, they didn't change too much in the movie (besides the usual hollywood stuff). I won't say anything else so I don't wreck it, but im sure you will love it.

Edit, btw Reuben, I don't think I said it before but thanks for all the awesome pics you posted! I might have overlooked 'Unstoppable' if it hadn't been for this thread!

Last edited:

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
Still haven't seen it....has anyone else

I saw it last week and it was a good movie. Well worth the $8.50 to go see.

I read the facts about the incident that insipired the movie before going http://kohlin.com/CSX8888/z-final-report.htm
so i kinda knew what to expect. By no means was this a documentry of what actually happened, but so far as hollywood goes, they did make a great movie out of what actually happened.

I really loved seeing this thread before i went to see the movie. I watched extra close to see how they transformed what we saw here into what was in the movie. They did alot of work in the editing room. I was amazed at the copter work in the movie, can you imagine a real news copter right down on the ground like that flying along a train?

here is what i posted about it over on the railroad forums http://www.yardlimits.com/forums/

Overall i found it amusing. I did struggle at times with not getting all upset about the inaccruacies of the movie but kept reminding myself that its an entertainment not documenty movie. I DID like how they portrayed railroad management, and the way they looked at the silly yellow vest. The tipping train on the curve was probobly the most unrealistic thing i have ever seen. I REALLY enjoyed all the stunt helecopter flying and the dude in that red duelly pickup. Can you imagine a news helecopter getting that close to any real iccident?

tl;dr well worth the $8.50 to go see, hollywood entertainment with a kick in the nuts for RR management. If you want a documentry, read CSX 8888 - The Final Report

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
It opens here this weekend........................

cw4Bray

I think this fake, not sure how to tell if it's true. There are several youtube's like it, if you Google; "30 MPH crash test, truck, SUV."
The dump truck/cement truck reminds me of a PNW logging truck or a SW Asia truck. I can't believe the lack of damage to the large truck, which is why I think it's fake.
The Ford's and Toyota's seem stronger than other models. I'd rather see 60 MPH head-on crash tests, the "wall" trick would simulate multi vehicle wrecks but I think head-on's would be more probable. CGI ??

Last edited:

Shimmy1

I think this fake, not sure how to tell if it's true. There are several youtube's like it, if you Google; "30 MPH crash test, truck, SUV."
The dump truck/cement truck reminds me of a PNW logging truck or a SW Asia truck. I can't believe the lack of damage to the large truck, which is why I think it's fake.
The Ford's and Toyota's seem stronger than other models. I'd rather see 60 MPH head-on crash tests, the "wall" trick would simulate multi vehicle wrecks but I think head-on's would be more probable. CGI ??

Video game.

aighead

BeamNG is a very interesting physics "simulator" game. It's been out for quite a while and I picked it up the first time I saw a car crash video kind of similar to this. You can do, or simulate, a lot of crazy crashes, including messing with gravity, so you can drop a car from a distance up and see the effect the gravity of the moon would have on it, then compare it to various planets and the sun, etc. The work they've done on it since it came out is pretty amazing. It was a buggy, barely working program when it first started, to now it often looks/feels very real. If you have a decent computer and any interest it's pretty fun for 25 bucks. The link below is for the game with some more videos of it in action. If you have tons of time and inclination (talent) I think you can create your own vehicles and scenarios as well. It's a really impressive "game." Thinking about it I wouldn't be surprised if there is a pro version used for movies, to bring it back to the thread at hand.