• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

movie set in my town

Reuben

Great pics! are the firefighters from your town, or are they actors? Thats a sweet pumper, is that local or a prop? Appears to be a 4 wheel drive unit!

They are actually the real deal and yes that is a local four wheel drive truck.

Reuben

drove by the site of the train wreck and explosion site today and they are cuttingit up into 4'x4' pieces and throwing it in dumpsters

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
So it is done and dusted.

Reuben

So it is done and dusted.

the filming is officially done here....rumor has it they are filming in tyrone Pa now.then pitt,then ohio...It was neat to see but honestly I am glad they are done. They have no problem closing roads down when they want for as long as they want. Money talks

ironwood

I saw a TON of those Haddad trucks leaving Pittsburgh last week w/ a new DOT # taped over the other ones I figured it was a filming crew. Nice area around Tyrone, just went thru there a few days ago.

Ironwood

1923mack

The film crews typically have a bunch of sites going on at all times. It may take 3 weeks to set up a scene, but only 2 days to film it. The director, actors and main film crew move from scene to scene. Set up guys have specific days when they will show up. i used my old Northwest model 18 on a film scene last year. Took about 3 weeks to set up. Filming was done in a few days, and off they went to the next site.

Reuben

The film crews typically have a bunch of sites going on at all times. It may take 3 weeks to set up a scene, but only 2 days to film it. The director, actors and main film crew move from scene to scene. Set up guys have specific days when they will show up. i used my old Northwest model 18 on a film scene last year. Took about 3 weeks to set up. Filming was done in a few days, and off they went to the next site.

The special "FX" guy said it took two months and a million dollars to get seventeen seconds of film..(the de-railment and explosion)

DuraMaxMan66

Occupation
PT student/operator
Reuben, Your brothers friend Zac (which Im sure you know from working on your brothers house) deals with them movie people every day down here since he works for the railroad. I guess he is constantly out with them when they are filming around here. Im not sure if he was all the way up there for that bit by you or not.

yellowwheels

Occupation
photographer, writer
Fascinating post - I'm a photographer myself, but I never cease to be amazed by the effort and cost of making a blockbuster movie ! I usually work with one assistant and one vehicle....BTW Great action pix

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Very cool post, the frieght train that rolls through during the explosion. I would assume that was also part of the scene?

yellowwheels

Occupation
photographer, writer
Talking of movies: I made one which includes a JCB

I joined this forum because I thought you would enjoy seeing some photos and a short movie about a JCB loader, used in an unusual way. So apologies for hijacking this thread, as it's mostly done now.

It's got a sort of Halloween theme of sorts so better get it up before the weekend passes... In London, England, there's a square devoted to Nelson and the battle of Trafalgar. They ran out of money building it back in Victorian times, and never put a statue on the 4th plinth. So over the years there have been guest statues and temporary art installations. For the last 3 months, the place has been offered to the general public to go up and do whatever they like for an hour. The connection here is that JCB UK lent them a couple of 535-95 loaders to get the participants up onto the statue platform

see feature here:

http://www.yellowwheels.com/2009/10/halloween-special-yw-chauffers-trafalgar-4th-plinth
or
http://bit.ly/3a4y4H

enjoy!

Westfolk

the filming is officially done here....rumor has it they are filming in tyrone Pa now.then pitt,then ohio...It was neat to see but honestly I am glad they are done. They have no problem closing roads down when they want for as long as they want. Money talks

They have been between Mileburg and Port Matilda, PA since leaving Emporium. As of today they moved to Tyrone. Wednesday is the last scheduled day for work to be done. They then go to Pitt and finish it off. The filming has already been done in Ohio. Did that in August.

For the best list of stuff done while in PA so far. Go to Youtube and search for AWVR Unstoppable

Westfolk

Scheduled release date is 11-12-10....subject to change.

I plan on going to Tyrone within the next 3 days to get the last of my vids. Pitt is to far to drive just to get some more. That and most of what they will be doing in Pitt is inside studio filming.

Westfolk

Today, and tomorrow is the last of the filming, which is in Tyrone, for around here.

Correction to an earlier post I made. They did film earlier this year(in August) in Ohio. I was just informed that after they leave Tyrone they ARE going to Bellaire, OH.....then to Pitt to finish it up.

I have not been able to get back down to the Tyrone area. However, tomorrow I will. Fitting since it is their last day for filming around here, and the last chance I have of getting something new. Check youtube....AWVR unstoppable....for all I've been able to get and put together.

Side note: AWVR is the fake railroad company in the movie. Allegheny West Virginia railroad.

Reuben

Today, and tomorrow is the last of the filming, which is in Tyrone, for around here.

Correction to an earlier post I made. They did film earlier this year(in August) in Ohio. I was just informed that after they leave Tyrone they ARE going to Bellaire, OH.....then to Pitt to finish it up.

I have not been able to get back down to the Tyrone area. However, tomorrow I will. Fitting since it is their last day for filming around here, and the last chance I have of getting something new. Check youtube....AWVR unstoppable....for all I've been able to get and put together.

Side note: AWVR is the fake railroad company in the movie. Allegheny West Virginia railroad.

You seem to know alot about the movie...could you confirm that the movie is infact based off of a CSX incident in Ohio where the engineer jumped from the train to throw a switch and before he got off the train he thought he had set all three of the brake systems but mistakenly set the throttle in the 8th notch positon and it took off?

Also where are you located.....I was just wondering if you were near me. I might actually know you especially being that you have an interest in heavy equipment

Last edited:

brynbaily

Occupation
Equipment Operator
could you confirm that the movie is infact based off of a CSX incident in Ohio where the engineer jumped from the train to throw a switch and before he got off the train he thought he had set all three of the brake systems but mistakenly set the throttle in the 8th notch positon and it took off?

Reuben, those are some great shots! I live just 10 minutes from Brewster where they shot at the Wheeling & Lake Erie railroad. My neighbor in fact is a dispatcher there and got to meet most of them. It is based off the 2001 CSX mishap where a train with 47 cars traveled 66 miles through 3 countys at 50 mph carrying thousands of gallons of the hazardous material molten phenol acid, a toxic ingredient of paints and dyes. Nice stuff. I guess it was stopped when it hit an up hill and slowed down to 10 mph where someone jumped on it and stopped it.
I was working out of town that week but I guess it was total chaos trying to run real trains through with the addition of people sneaking around trying to get a peep. They basically closed down the whole town. Like you said its amazing how money talks!