• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Move Trench Box with Workers inside-OK?

Jmatias

Hi all,

I need a little help. Is it allowable to move a trench box with employees inside. Specifically is there anything written anywhere in a manual or other resource that says you can or cannot do this. The issue is when you have to move the box forward while employees are inside.

Any help? If you've got a manual or a link to a site that would be great! I really need something in writing.

Thanks!!!:cool:

Jmatias

Answered my own question!

29 CFR 1926.652(g)

the osha rule states that the workers cannot be inside when lifting, installing, or removing vertically. no mention about horizontally, so it appears ok to slide the box forward with the workers inside as long as no other hazards are created in doing so.

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
yes osha says that you may move the box, horazontilly with someone in it , but not vertically.

rino1494

Wow, banned on the first day. You must have been a bad boy.

Anyway, we slide the boxes with the pipelayer inside.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Jmatias! :drinkup

jazak

I've seen it done here a few times..not sure if it was "OSHA" approved....but then again lots of stuff here isn't "OSHA" approved..:D ;)

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Thanks your Diggerness

That is an excellent site with some really good gear. I particularly like this statement:

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
In any photo there will always be something that might reduce the level of compliance under the most strict application of the OSHA standard. The Shoring Solution Library is meant to be a resource guide of possibilities which can lead you closer to compliance. Some critics have suggested that we post ONLY perfect photos. Perfect jobsite photos are rare. Our philosophy is that the GREATER GOOD is served by sharing our Shoring Solution Library (however imperfect) showing application technology in the “real worldâ€. As the Contractor or Competent Person, it is up to you to make the job as compliant as possible. If you don’t know how, we offer monthly FREE CPT Excavation Safety classes in each of our facilities.

The real world I think means the world most of us live in...Thats nice to see for a change because its my experience that the "perfect world" doesn't exist...or maybe only in certain parts of BC.

The boxes where what I was expecting, similar to what is used down ere.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
It's funny--That's where I took my "competent person" training (after 20 years working in the field without it:rolleyes: ), and my impression of the training was not that it was going to teach you how to have your site "in compliance", but rather that now, you would know all the ways your site was not in compliance, and never would be.

That notice confirms that my impression wasn't too far wrong. I believe they can teach you how not to get killed, but total compliance is out of reach...

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Don't you mean "Personnel" boxes....but yes any will do.

I can feel this thread perched on the edge:rolleyes:

Tsk Tsk.......do I have to explain everything.......:rolleyes: :D

What Digger posted is what I was talking about. :thumbsup

Gmads

Occupation
Ditchdigger
Can one of you guys post me some pics of your trenching boxes please?

First Pic is of a protected bore pit. Second pic shows us next to the road which prevented us from sloping back, and shows an end plate being dropped into position to close off the box used in that bore pit. Third/fourth picture shows our preferred way in shallower trenches.

Attachments

• SE1-O1-1.JPG
    SE1-O1-1.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 410
  • SE1-O1-4.JPG
    SE1-O1-4.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 406
  • SE1-UD153-1.JPG
    SE1-UD153-1.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 407
  • SE1-UD153-2.JPG
    SE1-UD153-2.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 407

lantraxco

Go written up years ago for exactly that, pipelayer walked out the back of the box to retrieve something about the time the dang OSHA guy walked past... *DING* winning ticket.