• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mount Rainier job pictures

skyking1

I did a couple of seasons up there, rebuilding Stevens Canyon road.
We had a deeper road repair at a slide chute farther down Stevens Canyon on the mountain job. They had originally done a fantastic buildup and wall construction with stacked blocks, but it needed drainage pipe installed beneath it all. That one we peeled apart with excavators and restacked, as it was a dry stack wall. We called it the Amphitheater due to the appearance of the massive lower layers and setbacks.
Google maps overview:
https://goo.gl/maps/Mi17fuhsqxwVyYBz7
We got that down about 32 feet below road grade, then I slid down in there with this 9 ton Volvo excavator and put in drains. The federal inspector emailed me this photo years later.
2014-11-12.jpg

The big excavator is a 345 Cat. he had put the bucket on backwards and dipped the drain rock out of a dump truck, and then handed it down to me.
After we got the drain in, he flipped the bucket around, I hooked onto his bucket with mine and he assisted me out of there.
It is the way.

It would be a quick trip to the switchback below.

IMG-20130916-105258-395.jpg

The amphitheater benches

IMG-20130916-132612-541.jpg

My friend Mike of the Mountain

IMG-20130916-132602-471.jpg

IMG-20130916-132626-884.jpg

I think somebody's cremains were originally placed in that notch. This rock creation is virtually invisible to the park visitors, as it is steep up the hill above you on the switchback and out of sight as you drive by above.

IMG-20130916-132607-539.jpg

IMG-20130916-132605-247.jpg

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
My dad and grandpa put in the tunnel on the mountain side of the box canyon bridge in the fifties. Dad told so pretty good stories about that job and some of the things they did to build that original road.

I was reading yesterday where they allotted a whole bunch of money to rebuild that road over the next three years.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I remember Tucci being up there last time I was up there probably in your time frame. They were up by Reflection Lake as I recall laying asphalt. I also remember plenty of pot holes and beat up road between the east gate and box canyon.