• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Most popular CAT tools

Shivan Dookeran

while im not new to the electrical side of cat im new to the mechanical side , what are the most popular tools and do i need original cat tools or you guys have used others sucessfully , im talking about guages and test equipment .

all info and help is appreciated

Welder Dave

So was I. I'm sure Cat has a zillion specialty tools including gauges. I highly doubt you need all of them to be from Cat. It's kind of like Snap On tools. They are generally top of the line but that doesn't mean less expensive or other brands won't do the same thing.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A gauge is a gauge no matter what name is on the face or the invoice. The quick coupler fittings are carried for a whole lot less money at any hydraulic supply house. I have never bought any hydraulic test stuff from a Cat dealer.

JD955SC

All my hydraulic gauges are Cat but that’s because we get a decent price on them, they are reliable and accurate, and my work rebuilds them when needed.

you just need good gauges and the adapter fittings. Neither has to be Cat, but you aren’t going wrong by buying Cat, at least on the analog type gauges (the electronic digital gauge set they have is not worth the steep price to me)

aongheas.macask

Occupation
ex service manager
A gauge is a gauge no matter what name is on the face or the invoice. The quick coupler fittings are carried for a whole lot less money at any hydraulic supply house. I have never bought any hydraulic test stuff from a Cat dealer.
Probably best to stay away from dirt cheap analogue gauges on eBay, saw a guy trying to diagnose a 16G transmission with one of those which was brand new and was reading 150 psi high, put a reputable gauge on found the problem.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I don't know if anyone else picked up on the OP's location - Trinidad.
I would suspect that outlets such as Harbor Freight and hydraulic supply houses might be a bit thin on the ground there..........
I've been in that position before where the Cat dealer is the only place you can get stuff. Please note I am NOT in any way recommending he goes straight to the dealer, simply trying to point out that his other options to procure what he needs may be extremely limited.

John C.

Occupation
The fact that he was able to post something here indicates he likely has the capability to order something from anywhere. Whether he has the means to receive it is something we can't know.

Shivan Dookeran

I don't know if anyone else picked up on the OP's location - Trinidad.
I would suspect that outlets such as Harbor Freight and hydraulic supply houses might be a bit thin on the ground there..........
I've been in that position before where the Cat dealer is the only place you can get stuff. Please note I am NOT in any way recommending he goes straight to the dealer, simply trying to point out that his other options to procure what he needs may be extremely limited.
Thanks for the advice dealrship is limited but what John c said i am able to order stuff to miami and get it shipped here within a few days. I actually was looking at a few gauges from Amazon

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
i am able to order stuff to miami and get it shipped here within a few days.
That's the same sort of thing we could do in the DR and also here in Colombia. The only potential problem I see with ordering from the internet is that if you experience any difficulties with the product getting it replaced could prove to be a problem.

Hopefully someone can recommend one or two good online sellers in the US that offer quality at reasonable prices.

Welder Dave

Are the better gauges the liquid filled ones or can the non filled ones be just as good for applications on equipment? Wika, and Winters make high quality gauges but I don't know who sells them online. Maybe you could contact them directly and they could help you. Gauges can also be ordered with calibration certificates.

Pressure Gauges for Gauge, Absolute, and Differential Pressure - WIKA Canada

Winters Instruments | Digital Gauge | Pressure Gauge - Winters Instruments manufactures industry leading products such as our pressure gauge, industrial/HVAC thermometer & explosion proof pressure switch.

John C.

Occupation
You want fluid filled gauges as the pressure pulsations are dampened and the needle doesn't bounce around so much you can't read it.

Shivan Dookeran

Are the better gauges the liquid filled ones or can the non filled ones be just as good for applications on equipment? Wika, and Winters make high quality gauges but I don't know who sells them online. Maybe you could contact them directly and they could help you. Gauges can also be ordered with calibration certificates.

Pressure Gauges for Gauge, Absolute, and Differential Pressure - WIKA Canada

Winters Instruments | Digital Gauge | Pressure Gauge - Winters Instruments manufactures industry leading products such as our pressure gauge, industrial/HVAC thermometer & explosion proof pressure switch.
thanks welder dave ,ill def look into the guages
i was asking about guages you used so i wont be wasting time and money buying guessing .

Welder Dave

Glad I could be of some help. The industrial supply I worked at sold gauges so I talked to Wika several times to help customers out. They are based in the same city and have excellent customer service. They used something different in their liquid filled gauges than glycerine that is common. It had a lower temperature rating if I recall. I'm glad I don't have to fix machines in -40. That may not be an issue for you. You could order several different diameters and back or bottom thread etc. They could even custom make gauges to your specs. Winters came up because customers wanted something equivalent to replace a Winters gauge or make another assembly with the same gauge.