• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

More theft!

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I just read in my local paper someone stole the hydraulic pump out of a JD 200C nearby. It was parked close to the road.

As usual, crimestoppers is offering a reward, and the cops have no leads...

Mack185

Thieves are ballsy these days. A couple of years ago, we had the CB's stolen out of about 12 trucks at my last company. Quite a few were high end radios ($200+). This happened on our yard 50 yards from the road and we had random security patrols throughout the night. If the truck wasn't unlocked they broke the windows out and removed the in cab lightbulb and cover. What kind of rednecky b*****d steals CB's?

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
ive seen starters and alternators stolen off bobcats before but those are pretty easy and quick to pull and they usually cut the wires leaving a mess for me to piece back together but to steal a pump that would take alot of time to disconnect lines and what ever else is in the way to get it out plus the weight of it to lift out and carry to the truck.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
In 2005 when I was in Southern California, I remember watching a news clip about a D9R being stolen right off a job site. I cant remember the exact location. But I was thinking, wow. What kinda balls would you have to have to do something like that.
As I thought about it some more, the brain really got to working.
Just how many people driving by a job site, would really notice a D9 being loaded on a multi axle lowboy? And if it was noticed, by someone such as MOST of us on this forum would just say to them selves "MMMM....Nice lowboy and Cat." Unless the owner, or perhaps the superintendent, or a master mechanic or someone along them line would just happen to drive by, who would know the difference?
At any rate, thieves are the lowest form of human on the face of the earth.
Jason

Dualie

Thats one of my biggest fears being in CA is our proximity to Mexico making NOTHING safe. It's much better than its been in years past, i guess Mexico has stepped up their checks on things crossing into Mexico. Most of my really valuable assets have LO-jack or some other sort of tracking but it always worries me that i will be out of town when the unit gets stolen and by the time i get the notice out it will already be outta range outta luck.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Almost sounds like the pump was "stolen to order". I bet there's a 200 c in a shop that's getting a "salvage yard" pump.
Re: whole machines, A while back our nearby Navy base was going through a building boom. Equipment theft became a big problem. As said, nobody thought twice about a lowboy with equipment leaving, stuff was going in and out constantly. But you would have thought it would be secure on base.:beatsme

heavylift

Your right thieves usually don't steal stuff that they can't sell.. But they do call it con-struction... so if any dealers in the area know if there was a company needing a pump... well 911 the locals

The air base here is real tough to get on...Inspection station everytime. Plus you have to be vouched on the base. A base Photo Id. Then there another gate that you will show your base id... also the truck must have a pass, with all the info about the truck, license ,color, make, model etc.

Then there is the REDtape on the weapons clips. Plus the sign "use of deadly force authorized"