• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

more pics of equipment stuck!

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Morons there is a point that you should give up and quit digging your self deeper. My guess is the pickup was first then the hoe, loader and last the dozer.

atgreene

Here's one I saw yesterday. This is a potato or corn field in Fryeburg Harbor. I wondered why the tractor had stopped in the middle of the field until I stopped and zoomed in. There was another tractor coming to help him, but I don't know how they made out. We've been getting lots of rain, to the point where many of the corn fields were tilled back under and I suspect that is what they were attempting to do here.

Attachments

• Green thumb farm stuck 1 7-28-06 002.jpg
    Green thumb farm stuck 1 7-28-06 002.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 25,375
  • Green thumb farm stuck 7-28-06 001.jpg
    Green thumb farm stuck 7-28-06 001.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 25,394

544D10

Occupation
Lucas & Mercier Construction Co.
In the 2nd pic it kinda looks like the loader hit the engine cover of the hoe.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I saw that first post on the Cat bulletin board before, it was eplained that the folks driving the pickup got it stuck first, then went and "borrowed" the equipment to try and get the truck out, then buried the cats too. Did a fair amount of damage to the equipment too, I remember. This is what the guys found when they got back to work on Monday.
They did get caught.....all I can remember right now,
alan627b

JDOFMEMI

Alan
Thanks for clearing that up. I was about to think someone needed fired!

It looks like the crew had their work cut out freeing all that iron. Might need to wait a few months.

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
Nick Drew to the rescue!!

In this photo I was called on to help pull this Komatsu D65 dozer out of a sticky situation on a road job in Cornwall England last year!!

Attachments

• Komatsu D65 bogged.JPG
    Komatsu D65 bogged.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 24,314
  • Nick to the Rescue!.JPG
    Nick to the Rescue!.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 24,220

alco

I know I have posted these before, but here it goes again.
Brian

Attachments

• sunk D7's 006 resized.jpg
    sunk D7's 006 resized.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 24,090
  • sunk D7's 019 resized.jpg
    sunk D7's 019 resized.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 24,486
  • sunk 1 resized.jpg
    sunk 1 resized.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 24,220

HeyUvaVT

holy crap..those last pics are crazy...first time i have seen them...any back story? how did they get them unstuck?:eek:

alco

Cool pics!:thumbsup
They probably ran one of their Komatsus out there and towed em back in.:yup

Hahaha, nice try. We don't have any Komatsu's at that mine. But here is what happens when the Komatsu's at the other mine venture out into this stuff.

Brian

Attachments

• TAILINGSCATSUNK-1r.jpg
    TAILINGSCATSUNK-1r.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 23,759
  • TAILINGSCATSUNK-2.JPG
    TAILINGSCATSUNK-2.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 23,719

alco

holy crap..those last pics are crazy...first time i have seen them...any back story? how did they get them unstuck?:eek:

This is at an Oilsands mine in Northern Alberta, Canada. These are the dozers we use to work and handle the sand once it has been handled and processed by the plant to extract the bitumen. It gets pumped to us by pipelines to large ponds where we work with it to establish solid ground again. The water in the slurry gets trapped in pockets underneath the sand, silt and clay and we occasionally drop machines into these pockets since you can tell they are there until you are in one. There are also soft spots that develop and that is what happened to the D7R's. The deep one was the first one in, and the shallower one was a new guy who didn't follow the proper procedure and got himself stuck too.

It took a week to get both out. We had to build roads out to them with good material, then dig around them, lift and pull really hard! For each machine, it took two 589 sidebooms lifting, a D7R and a D375 pulling, and a 375 Cat hoe and an EX450LC Hitachi hoe lifting and pulling to get them out.
Quite the show really.

These are pictures of the 375 digging around the deep one once the road was built and it had sunk farther...and what it looked like when it was out for comparison.

Brian

Attachments

• sunk D7's 012 resized.jpg
    sunk D7's 012 resized.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 23,115
  • sunk D7's 018 resized.jpg
    sunk D7's 018 resized.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 22,941

alco

Here are a couple from a place I used to work. The guy in the background wearing the blue hood was the operator. In all fairness, it wasn't his fault entirely. He was told by an engineer that it was safe to walk through there, he pretested and was told by the superintendant to do it.
He wasn't stuck as bad as this at first, but the same superintendant decided to dig around it to pul it out. They didn't have neough power to pull it out and the machine sunk further before the hole collapsed around it. So the not so super-intendant said "Well, that didn't work....do it again!" They did, and the same thing happened again. That's how it got in so deep. It took us 18 hours to get it out using two TD25's, an 850C, PC200LC, 892E LC, and an EX700 LC. We were all filthy by the time it was over.

Brian

Attachments

• DEERE DOWN 2.JPG
    DEERE DOWN 2.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 13,728
  • DEERE DOWN 4r.jpg
    DEERE DOWN 4r.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 12,201
Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

Brian
Just wanted to thank you for the pictures and the story to go with it.

Did the dozers shown go back to work? If so, how much damage did they get from thier journey into the tailings?

Great to have your input here

alco

Brian
Just wanted to thank you for the pictures and the story to go with it.

Did the dozers shown go back to work? If so, how much damage did they get from thier journey into the tailings?

Great to have your input here

Hi Jerry,

All of the dozers went back to work eventually. The D7R's cost about 400,000 each to get rebuilt. They are full of electrical gremlins now...surprise surprise. The D155 was also rebuilt and put back to work, however I am not at that mine and never heard how much it cost.

Brian

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Excellent pics and story, Alco. Do you have anymore? :drinkup