• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mixing Volvo and Hitachi Hydraulic Fluid- Good or bad idea?

ARPlante

Occupation
Owner, secretary, estimator, mechanic, janitor
Hi guys,

We currently have a 2012 John Deere 160D excavator with several specialized land clearing attachments that I would like to share with a new Volvo 160D.

I know the Deere/Hitachi runs a zinc free oil, but I was curious if the hydraulic oil in current Volvo excavators is zinc free as well?

Is the Deere/Hitachi hydraulic oil compatible with the Volvo hydraulic oil?

Thanks for the help,
Andrew

GregD1

Occupation
Equipment for a paving contractor
It`s been a while since I have looked at the Volvo oil spec but Hitachi has always been labeled a 4,000 hour oil life and most everything else a 2,000 hour oil and if you mix them they have claimed it now turns it all into a 2,000 hr life span.

blitz138

You absolutely can not run Volvo hydraulic fluid in a Hitachi machine. I cant say for certain if you can run zinc free in the Volvo but it would be a waste of money.

ARPlante

Occupation
Owner, secretary, estimator, mechanic, janitor
Ok guys- thanks. I figured mixing zinc with non-zinc would be a bad thing- thanks for the confirmation.