• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mixing greases Gray vs Red? Bad news?

PJM

The machine has gray grease in it. I put red grease in the track tensioner. Am I in trouble? After I did that, I read you shouldn't mix greases because it can cause a bad reaction. Should I purge my tensioner?

What is the type of reaction? Is it between different chemicals in the grease? Which chemicals? Is it corrosive or explosive?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've never seen any damage from mixing grease types. As far as what is in the tensioner goes, the grease is basically a hydraulic fluid at that point and there are no lubrication issues.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The reason you don't mix grease is that the different thickening agents can react with each other causing the oil part of the grease to drop out and run out of whatever is trying to be lubricated. There is a chart somewhere showing compatibility. Mainly I think it is a problem for wheel bearings and the like where it needs to stay in place on the uphill side. I have never worried much about it either.

Ct Farmer

Exactly. The two greases react and everything just turns to oil and runs out. Saw a perfectly good 30hp pump motor ruined because a service tech said “grease is grease and anything is better than nothing” when he was to lazy to go get the grease indicated on the motor tag. A month later the bearings seized and burned the windings before the overload shut it down.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Brainless systems as a Adjustment piston worse case is leaks off and or leaks Out. Collapse system to full depress with relief open, reapply with grease of choice.