• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

mitsubishi dozer

sthilman

need a small dozer to move alittle dirt around the property and do small logging jobs. the budget is small or I would be looking at a Cat or John Deere.
should a guy stay away from these import dozers? guys with opinions based soley on "just buy american" save your breath.
what I want to know is what should I look for, and be concerned about with these little machines.
I am looking at a BD2f and I cannot find any info on the net about the things.
The guy who has it for sale says he thinks it is an 89 or 90, he does not know.
Where can a guy go to research these things?

humboldt deere

Occupation
general building and engineering contractor
I have never run a mitsu so I cant say much about them but they are built in a partnership between cat and mitsu in japan. I know cats smaller dozers are made in japan, does anybody know if their made in mitsubishi factory?

Legdoc

I am in the market for a small dozer and my research indicates parts may be hard to find for the mitsubishi machines.

drewtam

I have never run a mitsu so I cant say much about them but they are built in a partnership between cat and mitsu in japan. I know cats smaller dozers are made in japan, does anybody know if their made in mitsubishi factory?

Thats not accurate. The D3G-D5G tractors are built in a SCM facility in Japan. SCM was a 50/50 partnership between Cat and MHI. Cat is the process of buying out majority ownership in SCM. But the dozer design, as far as I know, was Cat work. In fact, the latest generation of these machines, D3K-D5K, has switched to the Cat C4.4 powerplants from the previous MHI engines (3046).

sweetiepie

small dozer

I to was in the market for a small dozer and this is what I learned. The mitsy is a good dozer but you will have problems finding some of the parts, it being a gray market machine. I was looking at a really nice mitsy machine with a 80 % undercarriage the price was 8000.00 dollars. I steered away from the unit solely because I feared the parts issue futher down the line. From people I have talked to about the machines, I am told they are very reliable. I opted for a different gray market machine. A komatsu d20-6. The parts are a little easier to find. I have to say I am really enjoying this little machine it has a 42 hp motor and has plenty of power for its size. What I mean to say is it doesn't bogg down under load it just breaks traction.
The mitsy is the same weight class and hp so if you feel comfortable with the over all condition of the machine and can source the parts I'd say give it a shot.:Banghead I feel your pain, I would love a Cat JD Dresser etc..:beatsme but I just can't do that right now.
Good luck!

sthilman

thanks for the replies. if you can't get parts you can't get parts. sounds like a risk to buy something that may be difficult to fix, especially if the market you are in is older dozers.
guess I will just keep looking

Turbo21835

Finding parts may always be an issue with the gray market machines. If your handy you may even be able to make something work. Since its not a machine your using for production work, rather work around your place, I dont see a problem with grabbing it. A local contractor here has a Mitsu dozer, and Furukawa dozer. Both are on rubber tracks. They using the to grade sidewalks and finish up road projects. Usually backing curbs and spreading topsoil. They never really seem to have a problem with either of them. I dont know what engine it has, but im going to assume it would be the same as something that mitsu uses for trucks engines :confused: You may be able to get engine parts thru a local mitsu dealer, or an auto parts store.

I too am in the market for a small dozer to move brush piles and clear small growing trees. This is a great site. i have already learned alot.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums ProudMarineDad! :drinkup

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
what are sweeps on a dozer? and what is there function?

The bars going from the top of the cab to the front of the dozer are sweeps. They help to keep debris away from the operator and the machine when clearing wooded land and such.

111.jpg

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Countryboy that's anice dozer there looks like a 76 model d6 or 8? kind of like mine. That one is much cleaner though and the tilt cylinder is on the left for mine. anyway nice machine. Is she yours?

sweetiepie

Re: LGP

That stands for low ground pressure. It is a wider track than the standard width. The wider tracks help distribute the weight of the machine over a greater area of ground. LGP's are especially handy if you are operating in a wet/soggy area.
Regards Jason

John White

My type of work requires a small dozer. I have had 3 previous (smallest made) American dozers. No American co. to my knowledge has made a small dozer since around 1985. I was looking to up date my dozer. I wanted to get a small d20 or 21 Komatsu. I knew they would be alot eaiser to get parts for and serviced if needed. I had talked to several dealers who sold both grey market machines (Komatsu and Mitsubishi) all said they felt the Mitsubishi was a better machine but would be hard to get parts for or service. My pholophsy is to pay a little more if you can and purchase the best equipement you can afford than buy one and fix it up because it gets very expensive very quick buying any thing for a dozer or backhoe. (example, I just bought a JCB 212 backhoe, with a 3 ft section of burned wireing harness, byond repair and a new one is $1,100.) I lookd at several Konatsus and ran onto a Mitsubishi with little hours. I purchased it. It does a real nice job for a small dozer and I think it has a better engine than the Komatsu. The parts distributor for them I think is Rhine Equipt. in Wash. I dont know what all they are able to get. I had a very hard time even crossing the oil filter over to a U.S made one. NAPA or no one had a cross over or even referance to it. I do 98% of the maintaince myself. Tracks, rollers, are available on E-bay from time to time. Be very careful in buying either brand as most are pretty well wore out even at low hours, (rusted) inspect it very closely and take someone with you who knows about dozers. Having work done on these dozers can cost more that the same job on a larger dozer. For example mine had very, very, low hours and from it sitting so long to be shipped from Japan to US and sitting on dealer lot, 5 pins on one chain had frozen up. I worked on it for 3 months, soaking it with every kind of penetrating oil I knew of, heated it, took the pads off and jacked it back up, drove it on pavement, but every time it came around the sprocket, would bend back the other way and would bind up. I called a Komatsu dealer and he gave me a estimate of $90. if I took the track off and the pads off, to simply press the pins out, buff them off and press them back in. I felt I had no choice and could live with that. When I went to pick it up it was $300. Just to press 5 pins out and back in. I thought that was a little high as I can purchase a new set of chains for $1500. I love the dozer for my type of work and it is not near as tireing as the older dozers were. PS. I still love the way Allis Chalmers made the little HD4. If only a newer one were made.

JimInOz

Mitsubishi Dozers

HI fellas,
I'm new on this site & enjoyed reading some of the postings here.:)
With regard to the Mitsubishi BD2 E/F/G/H/J machines,RHINE Equipment has part of their website dedicated to Mitsy dozers.
I am looking to get into parts supply too,& have a few leads out of Asia.
Parts for small Jap dozers are expensive,so beware.
The Mitsubishi machines come from dozer rental yards in Asia,& many are exported via auctions,to the Western countries.You need to check over the lower parts of the machines,as they are subject to snow,salt,swamps,etc over a long period of time.
They are good dozers,but you need to be aware of what you are buying.Always check a machine over personally,before buying.
Let me know if I can help further.
Jim ( Australia)

PS:Nice D8K picture.

nut

Hi guys -- a newbie here. Great thread here....I have learned a lot so far. I just purchased a Mitsubishi BD2F without much research because I thought it was a good deal. I now have a few doubts after reading through this thread and finding out the parts issues. Anyway, it has been good to me so far. I have a question, though. My ignition is not wired correctly (I assume because it is not working correctly).....does anyone have information, or know where I can find information, on the correct wiring; Such as a schematic or something?