• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

mitsubishi bd2g clutch issue

RJM59LP

Just bought a 96 bd2g great shape great price after putting in a 900 foot driveway of recycled concrete and other chores the machine started making left turns wouldn't hold straight. I have the service manual so , I took the top plates off the two clutch housings the left one is bone dry the right one is all wet with oil it looks thin so it is probably hydraulic fluid rather than 90 weight from the bevel gear section Im hoping it's a bad hose going to the clutch release bearing haven't gone that deep yet been really cold today any ideas I'm thinking that instead of taking the tracks off like they say in the manual to take the top bolts out of the outer and inner drums thenb pull the machine forward a few inches to turn the drum over then remove the rest of the bolts. this will allow me to lift the clutch / brake operation out of the machine. Anyone with similar problems? Thanks Richie

sidehiller

Richie,

Sounds alot like my Bd2GII problem 2years ago.

I am betting the right side(wet one) is leaking hydraulic oil (10W motor oil) in the steering clutch release cylinder.
This cylinder is donut shape that has 2 different o-rings. The big one is probably blown, so it is leaking and not doing its job which is making the steering clutch release. Here are my rebuild notes. Get a manual and go get 'er. I got my o-rings from Darren in New York. He seems to be a straight shooter.
Cheers,
Sidehiller

BD2Folks,
I just finished the Steering Clutch job about two weeks ago and thought I would share my notes. Cheers.

Steering Clutch Repair
Mitsubishi BD2g2

5-6-2012

I wrote these notes up for those who might be facing Steering Clutch repairs to their small bulldozer. I am NOT a mechanic or machinist and I only have a “farm-type shop”. Cash flow dictates I maintain my own equipment. Here are some suggestions/notes you might want to keep in mind when repairing steering clutches on a small dozer.

Situation: The right steering clutch actuator was leaking. This actuator is nothing more than a hydraulic cylinder in the shape of a 5” diameter donut. When hydraulic fluid is pumped into this cylinder it pushes clutch forks into the dry clutch pack letting the clutch slip a little, thus the dozer turns right. Two o-rings to keep the oil inside the cylinder rather than in the bottom of the dozer cavity and generally making a nasty mess of things. My large((about 4inch diam)) o-ring was broken, thus the hydraulic oil was leaking/pooling in the brake/clutch cavity. This AWOL hydraulic fluid could also ruin your fiber clutch disks and brake linings.

Notes:

1.) Better get a Service Manual, in order to make a game plan.

2.) Use lots of rusty bolt penetrating oil and lots of patience. Snapping a rusty bolt off in that cavity could set you up for some problematic easy-out work.

3.) Contrary to manual you do NOT have to remove the tracks to do this repair.

4.) Support the dozer off the ground with timbers so you can move tracks with a come-along.
This allows you to access the trackside flange bolts thru the trackside access port.

5.) Above the track sprocket is an access port which allows you to loosen the trackside clutchpack/brake bolts. You will need about 24” of socket set extensions to reach these bolts from outside the machine.

6.) Have a torch handy to help loosen the bolts that hold clutchpack/brake to the trackside final drive flange and inboard bevel driveshaft flange. PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE!

7.) My dozer was very rusty in the rightside clutchpack/brake((CB)) cavity, situated within the frame. Left side was much better/dry. Brake dust and leaking oil truly made a blackhole mess. If this is your situation I would recommend powerwashing with some detergent first.

8.) After removing all flange bolts the the clutchpack/brake((CB)) should lift out in one unit, IN THEORY! I used a come-along suspended from the roof frame and sling around the CB to crane it out of the cavity. I also used and 18” steel bar((brass would have been better! Where can I get one?))with 2 lb hammer to jar the CB from its mating to the two flanges. Be careful but firm with the hammer.

9.) Remove bolt, bolt keeper and specialty heavy washer from end of driveshaft. These parts hold the inboard flange on bevel gear driveshaft.

10.) Make a stout puller to remove the inboard flange from the driveshaft. The driveshaft is splined and maybe rusted. To remove this flange you will need to use oil penetrant, some heat, a CRAZY amount of torque on the puller. A couple of days for the penetrant to soak in, under puller pressure. I felt as if I was going to break that flange any minute then it popped loose. A wise friend suggested a multihole, 1” thick puller. I agree, the stouter the better and you may be able to protect the flange that way. I also hammered on the puller abit to jar it loose. There is not much room in that cavity, use the above mentioned bar/hammer combination. When you finally get the flange loose, without breaking it, take a break! You deserve it!

11.) Remove the donut shaped hydraulic clutch acuator cylinder(DSHCAC). The same wise friend suggested pushing out the donut piston with a blast of compressed air. Catch it before it hits the ground!!

12.) At this point I had to replace the two o-rings in the DSHCAC and reassemble it. Shouldn’t to big of deal----not so fast. During re-assembly there is much opportunity to pinch, nick, shave these o-rings and their plastic keeper rings. Remember this is why we are doing this project, the o-ring was damaged and allowed oil leakage---CAREFUL is the important word here. Clean the o-ring slots till they shine. Fine sandpaper any rust or dirt away from the assembly area. Lubricate the dickens out of the o-rings and cylinder. I used a bench vice and two large c-clamps to EVENLY push the cylinder back together. It did NOT go easy. In retrospect I would definitely consider having a shop press it together in order to make it go together square and in a controlled manner. I would like to know any tricks you may have for this reassembly. The dozer has 6 hours of work since rebuild with no leaks but man I wonder if I did the cylinder reassembly carefully enough???

13.) Disassemble the CB on a bench in a clean work area. Inspect disks. When re-assembling keep brake drum on, to protect the fiber disk’s teeth. Support the CB on blocks so you can work both sides. It is easy to cross-thread the bolts that hold the clutchpack together!(Guess how I know?) The springs are quite strong. I used two 6” long ½-20 bolts to pull the CB together which allowed me to CAREFULLY rethread the CB bolts.

14.) I had the brake bands relined at Industrial Brake Reliners in Arvada, Colorado. Chris Montoya was easy to deal with. I did not require new fiber clutch disks but he had some that looked just like the BD2’s .

15.) If you could Disassemble you can Re-assemble, no worries. Re-assembly was straight-forward and enjoyable compared to the disassembly of heavy, rusted bolts and flanges within the cavity about the size of a file cabinet drawer. The stress of snapping off rusted bolts was gone also.

I think this covers the big issues I had.
A shoutout goes to Offgridman and Darin Mitchell at www.dm-machinery-sales.com for their timely postings on Tractorbynet.com.

Adios,
Sidehiller in Colorado

RJM59LP

Thanks I got the clutch pack out without any big deal the inner flange was stuck to the smaller inner drum I just put 2 bolts back in 180 degrees out leaving them out about 1/8 inch then pushed with a pry bar and it popped right off the inner flange needed quite a bit of heat from an oxy acet torch but if came off in about 10 min of work I ordered the parts from central gear in idaho nice people my question is how do you get the piston out of the cylinder If Im correct when the cylinder is actuated the piston pushes against the wall separating the rear end differential from the clutch cavity thus moving the entire cylinder operation towards the track side I got the shifter fork thing out I got the bearing out Just stimeyed over the cylinder piston Also I didnt lift the machine or take the tracks off I just pulled the whole machine forward a little with a backhoe while someone watched the bolts come around to get all 10 bolts out of each flange the manual is definitely wrong with the track off idea I also plan on putting plenty of anti sieze on the splined shaft when putting the inner flange back on any ideas on the piston would be appreciated thanks richie

RJM59LP

Hi to all those out there with a similar problem After taking the right side clutch operation out the clutch fiber discs were contaminated with hydraulic fluid the O rings in the donut hydraulic cylinder were shot leaking oil all over the place disassembly of the clutch unit was easy as was assembly with new metal and fiber discs from SteeringClutch.com nice people I put the whole operation back using a new hose got it all buttoned up started it every time I pulled the right steering lever the whole machine stopped after pulling my hair out I had a buddy of mine whos a mechanic on all types of equipment for 35 years look at it the left side brake was hanging up as was the steering linkage under the dash we took it all apart a lot of cleaning and polishing of the shaft on a smithy lathe drilled 1/8 npt holes in the linkage operation at all moving points thats wher it sits now bad weather hopefully it'll all get going first nice day we have here in NJ a few things to take the steering linkage operation under the dash apart there's 2 wodruff keys in the shaft which operate the brake only when the brake pedal is pushed the levers and rings on the linkage get pushed to the center after moving the retaining rings (snap rings) over to the center then there's enough room to get the woodruff keys out Once you figure out how they designed it it's pretty simple to get apart and back together no parts cost just a lot of clean up work the parets got pretty gunked up so much that when operating the right clutch lever the whole shaft would turn and engage the brakes on both sides hopefuilly the grease fitting installation will prevent this in the future Just about every bolt on this machine is 10mm 1.25 pain in the ass finding the bolts and nuts although Lowes ahd a drawer in the hardware section with some. Also to put the flange back on the drive shaft (after the hydraulic donut cylinder) I had to buy a longer bolt 16mm by 1.50 fine thread the only place that had it was Mcmaster carr and use some washers to push the flange back on the shaft used some anti seize on the shaft in case it has to come off again Also when putting the piston in the donut cylinder I put vaseline all over the o rings to hold them in place and to lubricate the insertion of the piston It went right in and after being tested works fine. there should be about 1/4 inch of movement in the piston you can watch it move by looking in the cavity with a flashlight just to check it Just thought Id post the info in case anyone nedds it It was a little difficult dealing with the service manual which you can download free online it's just that the translation into english is weird and there arent many exploded diagrams a parts manual would be helpful with the exploded diagrams anyone need any help with this just write in Ive become an expert after this operation R

RJM59LP

forgot as sidehiller says you DO NOT have to take the tracks off I didnt even raise the machine just removed the bolts I could reach and pulled the machine forward a few inches with someone watching the clutch come around obviously using a backhoe and repeated when reassebling Im working in a corn field alone and I got it done so once the steering linkage is back in with luck it'll work R

Marshall

BD2-F Workshop Manual Download

Can anyone advise me where I can download a copy of the Mitsubishi BD2-F workshop manual. Already found a copy of the parts manual, but its not a very clear copy, so if anyone knows if there is a clearer copy out there, would also apprisate the link to that as well.
I have a problem at present with my steering clutches. My machine has stood for some time with out being used, and now there is no clutch release on either of the steering clutches. Looks as if a few of you have had the same problems from the above reading.
I live in Thailand, and there is no Agents for Mitsubishi machiney now here in Thailand, so I am on my own and hoping with the help of some of you guys I acn get my bulldozer back up and running.
Are the BD2-E, BD2-F & BD2-G steering clutches all the same?
Hope some of you Guys can help me out here and lead me to find a copy of the BD2-F manual.
Regards,
Colin Marshall

RJM59LP

bd2g manual parts link

Can anyone advise me where I can download a copy of the Mitsubishi BD2-F workshop manual. Already found a copy of the parts manual, but its not a very clear copy, so if anyone knows if there is a clearer copy out there, would also apprisate the link to that as well.
I have a problem at present with my steering clutches. My machine has stood for some time with out being used, and now there is no clutch release on either of the steering clutches. Looks as if a few of you have had the same problems from the above reading.
I live in Thailand, and there is no Agents for Mitsubishi machiney now here in Thailand, so I am on my own and hoping with the help of some of you guys I acn get my bulldozer back up and running.
Are the BD2-E, BD2-F & BD2-G steering clutches all the same?
Hope some of you Guys can help me out here and lead me to find a copy of the BD2-F manual.
Regards,
Colin Marshall

the issue with the steering clutches is the metal and fiber plates are corroded together you need new ones link below
the guy at steering clutch.com says you have to run the machine at least once a month and heat up the clutch plates to keep them free happened to me on the left side ive done this a few times got it down to about 2 hours out 3 hours in do not take the tracks off the easiest way is to jack up the back of the dozer put a large block of wood not a concrete block under it to kepp the back up then use the front blade to lift the front of the machine use a come along to move the track chain so the bolts come around you could also just leave it one the ground and pull it forward with another machine to spin the clutch pack around you only have to move it a few inches due to gear reduction theres 10 bolts on each side of the flanges take them out if you strip a head sears has easy outs that fit over the stripped head and using a wrench you can get the bad ones out you'll need some sort of made up contraption to compress the clutch pack to get the bolts in after replacing the discs i used 1/2 threaded rod and washers and nuts when putting the pack back in it helps to put a piece of wood under the pack so you can line up the holes for the flange bolts probably a good idea to check the hydraulic donut cylinder for leaks thers just 2 o rings and 2 back up rings which are pretty easy to find you have to remove the clutch release and inside flange to get to this use heat and penetrating oil on the shaft this part is the hardest make a puller from some flat stock 3/8 at least with 2 holes in it the manual says remove tracks dont

service manual http://thunderbutte.net/BD2G BS3G Service Manual OCR.pdf for bd2g but similar

parts steeringclutch.com

check the hoses also while youre in there when reassembling put pack in with brake band around it then after putting the cover plate on put the 4 bolts in that hold the brake band id also remove the drain plugs for the clutch / brake cavity under machine the fluid leaked on me once and ruined the fiber discs this way it'll leak out you'll see it and know the problem without disassembling anything

if you need anything else RJM59LP@aol.com Richie

Marshall

Many Thanks Richie for your Info !

Good Day Richie,
So many thanks for your kind feedback with your detailed strip down and rebuild info below, on how you sorted your Steering Clutches out.
I am presently away from my machine for a few weeks on other business, so can't get to it till I return back home to my machine, but I have to say that I am now looking forward to doing the job now I know what I am up against.
Also many thanks for the workshop manuals link, plus the "steeringclutch.com" contact for the new parts.
I have already got my machine jacked up, but on concrete blocks at the rear which you say use wood instead of. Any reason for this? Dose the machine tend to slip off concrete blocks when you are turning the tracks or what?
Would appreciate your feedback on this one Richie.
Thanks again, and I will let you know how I get on when I finish the job.
Regards,
Colin Marshall (Thailand)

the issue with the steering clutches is the metal and fiber plates are corroded together you need new ones link below
the guy at steering clutch.com says you have to run the machine at least once a month and heat up the clutch plates to keep them free happened to me on the left side ive done this a few times got it down to about 2 hours out 3 hours in do not take the tracks off the easiest way is to jack up the back of the dozer put a large block of wood not a concrete block under it to kepp the back up then use the front blade to lift the front of the machine use a come along to move the track chain so the bolts come around you could also just leave it one the ground and pull it forward with another machine to spin the clutch pack around you only have to move it a few inches due to gear reduction theres 10 bolts on each side of the flanges take them out if you strip a head sears has easy outs that fit over the stripped head and using a wrench you can get the bad ones out you'll need some sort of made up contraption to compress the clutch pack to get the bolts in after replacing the discs i used 1/2 threaded rod and washers and nuts when putting the pack back in it helps to put a piece of wood under the pack so you can line up the holes for the flange bolts probably a good idea to check the hydraulic donut cylinder for leaks thers just 2 o rings and 2 back up rings which are pretty easy to find you have to remove the clutch release and inside flange to get to this use heat and penetrating oil on the shaft this part is the hardest make a puller from some flat stock 3/8 at least with 2 holes in it the manual says remove tracks dont

service manual http://thunderbutte.net/BD2G BS3G Service Manual OCR.pdf for bd2g but similar

parts steeringclutch.com

check the hoses also while youre in there when reassembling put pack in with brake band around it then after putting the cover plate on put the 4 bolts in that hold the brake band id also remove the drain plugs for the clutch / brake cavity under machine the fluid leaked on me once and ruined the fiber discs this way it'll leak out you'll see it and know the problem without disassembling anything

if you need anything else RJM59LP@aol.com Richie

RJM59LP

OK if you need any other info let me know concrete crumbles and cracks wood dont i wouldnt get under anything on blocks