• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

mining shovel news

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Is that a totally electric shovel? The photo seems to show a radiator, is that machine self contained?

Thanks for the link.

John C.

Occupation
What I have seen advertised so far on smaller machines is the swing function has the potential for coasting to a stop which would provide the method of energy recovery. I'm curious as to the size of the capacitor, it's life cycle and cost. I would also think that a diesel driven generator would be real expensive compared to line power.

hosspuller

John C.

Occupation
The video says it does store electric energy from swing and bucket lowering. Whenever someone is talking reluctance it seems to always mean a capacitor. The hydraulic system apparently runs the compound bucket and maybe the travel functions. I see four stacks indicating two engines. I'm not sure I buy into the percentages of saved fuel and total cost of operation, especially if capital costs are considered. It is exciting to see new technology applied to old school iron though.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The video says it does store electric energy from swing and bucket lowering. Whenever someone is talking reluctance it seems to always mean a capacitor. The hydraulic system apparently runs the compound bucket and maybe the travel functions. I see four stacks indicating two engines. I'm not sure I buy into the percentages of saved fuel and total cost of operation, especially if capital costs are considered. It is exciting to see new technology applied to old school iron though.

With all this high tech stuff I really want to see figures for total cost of ownership/operation. Including lost production due to waiting on special parts or special repair people when the thing breaks down electronically.

icestationzebra

Switched reluctance is a type of motor, different than AC or DC. You can google it.

And to add to what Hosspuller already said, right from the Komatsu web site....
During braking, the SR motors become generators, transferring energy back into the SR drives. The SR drives use that regenerated energy to turn the engine SR generator into a motor. With the generator now acting as a motor, it:
  • Supplies energy to satisfy parasitic / working loads (primarily hydraulics)
  • Supplies energy to satisfy engine losses
  • Shuts fuel supply off
  • Increases the drive train speed (mass of the engine drive train acts as a flywheel for stored energy)
  • Send any remaining excess energy to resistor grids
  • Throughout the entire process, the engine experiences 0% load
Fuel is cut off for an appreciable amount of time during the shovel load cycle, which significantly reduces fuel consumption and 0% engine load during this time also increases the useful life of the engine. In the addition to fuel savings, the SR Hybrid Drives system also offers significant savings in terms of maintenance costs. The SR motors and generators have no commutator, brushes or rotor windings to repair or replace.​

As to special parts, at this size almost everything is special already! :)

Here is the deck layout right from the spec sheet.

upload_2019-6-29_1-54-59.png

ISZ