1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Mini loader cost?

Discussion in 'Compact Wheel Loaders' started by cat320, Jun 9, 2005.

1. PipeGuy

PipeGuy Well-Known Member

Jd 244j

I recently rented a JD 244J. It is actually made by Lieber. After operating for about a week I wouldn't buy a large frame skid steer. I also rented a JD 332 ctl and the 244J sips fuel compared to the large loader. The 244J has "stereo steering" This means as you articulate the loader the rear wheels also turn. It has a very small turing radius. It has a euro coupler on it, which I think it is a much better design than larger loader. You can also get an adapter plate to put on any skid steer atachment on the loader also. I used a 1 cuyd bucket I also rented a power rake for it. It was a pleasure to operate. the loader is only 72" wide so it will fit just about anywhere a large from skid loader will fit. The only down side that I can find is that the aux hyd flow. High flow is not an option. so that would leave some of the planers and such out. I plan on purchasing one this year, assuming all goes well.

2. plowking740

plowking740 Well-Known Member

Equipment operator
    if your looking for a small loader, I have had a lot of luck running a case W11. I could load a Semi tailer end dump and carry a yard of materl. I haved used it to do everything, I have used it for finishing crush on tennis courts , parking lots, drive ways,
    snow removal ( excellent heater ). the biggest problem we had was the center pin, because it would fill the area with gravel if you drove over a windrow, and would stop taking grease, constantly changing nipples and cleaning them out.

I have also used a Kubota 420 and a Komatsu 75 all of wich were used for finishing. the Kubta was good because of all the different attachments you could get, Forks, backhoe, and we even had a box scraper/blade on the back end. a pretty handy little toy, just had a small bucket.

In not a fan of skid steer loader, so I would consider something like these.

3. Ohio Takeuchi

Ohio Takeuchi Active Member

Check out the Takeuchi wheel loaders made by atlas. They are a great machine. They run between 45k-70k. So they are not much more then a larger CTL.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  4. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

Manager commercial cabinet shop
    Deciding on small wheel loader

I am in the market to purchase a small wheel loader and want to stay around 10,000 lbs to facilitate moving with my equipment. Only looking at machines in that size range that have cab and ac. I have narrowed my search to Volvo L20B, Gehl AWS36, and Jcb 406. The Volvo is the most readily available and the closest dealer support. It also is the lowest priced machine. Any information on these brands in general and there small wheel laoders in particular would be appreciated. Most of the duties of this machine could be preformed by a skid steer, not interested in one of those don,t like the limited view, the ride or the stability. Thats why I ruled out the Bobcat A300 also. Also would like coments on skid steer quick attach vs. loader quick attach. I realise the versatility of the ss type but am thinking the loader type looks much stronger.

Thank you

5. MXZ

MXZ Well-Known Member

I haven't purchased one, but have demo'd most of the major players. The Volvo is definitely cheaper, but seems like a very crude machine compared to the Deere 244j and Cat's 906/8. The lasting impression of the Volvo was the beating you take in rough ground. If I can ever justify one, it would be the 244j. Ride control, tight radius w/o giving up full turn carrying capacity, higher ground speed, and just all around nicely designed.

6. seandeere

seandeere Member

Deere Equipment
    Did the bucket look very "tall" on the volvo

7. seandeere

seandeere Member

Deere Equipment
    is there a Deere dealer close by?, If so----try the Deere before final decision----244J

8. MXZ

MXZ Well-Known Member

Yes. It seemed tall and narrow on the one I ran without a lot of curl. Hard to get much material in the bucket. I know you have to dig differently than with a skid, but that Volvo was very awkward in my opinion.

9. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    I have been considering one as well. I ran a 321 CASE and I really liked it. The TK would be my next choice from looking at the specs but I have yet to run one. There are 3 321s in this area and nobody has an ill word to say about them, other than they cost too much.

10. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

So I tried out the 244J, really nice machine. Did not get a chance to try the ride control. Would this help a lot at speed over rough ground? It really does turn tighter than the other machine I have ran so far. The standard tires seem to small, would I be better of with the optional larger ones for rough terrain and mud? They add almost 2 inches to the height of machine which is already rather tall. It would seem that they should change the drive ratio as not to loose digging ability with them, do not now if they change it or not. I have to look at the numbers and see if I can justify the extra 10 to 15k over the other machines I am considering.
    Thanks
    Paul

11. PipeGuy

PipeGuy Well-Known Member

dusmaker,
    The ride control makes a huge difference in the ride.

12. seandeere

seandeere Member

Deere Equipment
    Yes the ride control would make a huge difference, I would not spend the extra for larger tires

13. JohnT

JohnT New Member

Waldon 4500B

Paul:

Do you still have this unit? If so please call me at 1-800-262-8700. I am not a dealer, my company is need of another unit.

Thanks.

John

14. JohnT

JohnT New Member

Waldon 4500B

Paul:

Do you still have this unit? If yes I'd like to talk with you I have one and need another.

thanks

John
    1-800-262-8700

15. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

Decided to purchase a 244J but they are rather scarce on the west coast. The dealer found a new one only 67 training hours. Don't know how thats new but oh well. The problem is the machine has a 1.4 yard 86" bucket instead of a 1 yard 76" gp bucket. That seems little large to me for average work. Mostly worried about the digging ability of the larger width. My other thought would be to get a 1 yard multipurpose bucket and this would probably be about 84" anyway. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Paul

16. MXZ

MXZ Well-Known Member

I think the bucket choice will depend on what you're doing with the machine. Maybe you said somewhere, but I missed it. Other than serious digging and loading heavy material, I would tend to lean toward the versatility of the skid steer plate. If a large portion of the machine's life is sitting in a pit loading rock or something, then maybe the payloader bucket is the way to go. If I remember right, the ss plate just quick taches to the euro coupler, so switching from ss to payloader is relatively quick also.

Once you figure out your bucket, I think you'll be very pleased with your choice of machine. It's definitely the Cadillac of the class.

17. aidank

aidank Active Member

useful machine

18. coopers

coopers Senior Member

You got any pics of the new guy?

19. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

This is one of the photos sent to me before the machine was transfered to my local dealer. It is still down at the dealer having some of the options I ordered installed. I will post more photos after delivery, should be monday or tuesday.
    Paul

Attached Files:

20. coopers

coopers Senior Member

VERY NICE! love the look of those, I wish I had a reason to use one!