• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mini loader cost?

cat320

Charter Member
I thought that I would open up this thread.It's always amazed me on the price they get for the mini loaders almost as much if not more than a TLB.It seams that unless you really need the size it would be more benifincial to go larger.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I agree, I was completely blown away by the prices of Cat 906's and 908's. Ridiculously expensive IMO. I think the 914 is about as small as I'd ever buy for doing excavation work.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
The reality of a lot of my skid steer work is that a 908 would do it in half the time and way more efficently, not to mention comfortably. However, many people/builders etc are not used to using small loaders and "expect" a skid steer to turn up. That fact, plus the exhorbitant price puts them out of my market as much as I want one.

Down the track I will probably end up with a secondhand IT18 or similar.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
I notice many tree services use them around here for picking up the big chunks at their jobs etc. They dont tear up the lawn as bad and they can lift more and with more stability it seems.. A local rental yard had a Cat 906 when it first started up a couple monthes ago but I think it was quickly sold back, I don't think it went out once. The skid steer is just too popular so people also ask for that first. In Europe they seem to be the hottest set up from what I've heard though, sort of like a skid steer is here.

cat320

Charter Member
I would love to get one but when you compare the cost of them to a bigger machine there really is not to much more difference well to a point but a used second hand machine 2-3 times the size with low hr's would be better than a new one that is smaller . plus when you compare them to a skid the skid is lighter more manuverable in tight areas and can be trailerd with a pick up the loaders most are just on the line for small truck transport.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
It depends on what your needs are. There are some jobs that a compact wheel loader is perfect for where a larger machine is too cumbersome. Part of the expense in the machine cost may be that they are built in lower numbers than their larger brethren making the cost per machine proportionally higher. They do have their niche, and would be perfect for my operation, I run smaller trucks.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I think they are under-rated

I know of a builder who has an old Kubota loader thats about as beaten up and trashed as you can imagine. He uses it for just about everything on site (crane/forklift etc) and swears by it. However I am yet to see one of the compacts (Kubota/Komatsu) that is as tight as a Cat (maybe Volvo) that will allow you level a pad precisely (+/- 3/4") with good control.

We use skids for this work or something like 938 on bigger sites but I am convinced the Cat 906/908 will do the majority of both. I guess its a compromise but from that respect it could be economical.

Where skids fall down is the time it takes to load a truck. A small loader will kill a skid any day in this regard.

I think that compact loaders are under-utilised and under-rated but again its what customers expect and they don't seem to perceive that there is a machine between a skid and 928 sized machine.

Transporting is certainly another issue although my tipper/dump truck will carry a 908 the length is a problem.

The local CAT Rental has a 908 with a 4 in 1 bucket and it is rarely idle in the yard.

eva

help

[hi i am looking for some help ...i want to buy weels for big trucks and tractors if you know aything let me know thanks !!!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Eva, I think you're going to need to provide a little more background information before anyone will be able to give you a useful answer. Like, what kind of trucks and tractors, and what kind of work they're used for, and maybe why you need to buy wheels, (don't they already have some?), etc. This may not even be the right forum for your question. There is a "transportation" section here on the board that might be a more appropriate place. Let us know a little more, and I'm sure somebody will be able to help you out...

RyanCKing

The high relative price of smaller loaders has sent me in search of a skip loader (TLB without hoe) based on a CAT 420 or 430 sized machine as a possible alternative.

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist

Attachments

• cex0602ewatch18.jpg
    cex0602ewatch18.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 5,308

jazak

I maybe renting a 308 for a retainer wall project. If I do I will post pics and what a though about the machine.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have run these machines for time to time and like others have said; I wish I could justify the purchase price. I think they would be very valuable on a jobsite. They are more comfortable to run Vs a skid steer. I ran a CASE 321 and quickly fell in lust for it, but not enough to take a chance with one. A large frame skid steer just seems more versatile unless you have a particular nich that the compact loader would fill. I sat in Takeuchi's new compact loader (built by Atlas). Very nice. If I ever see one at auction I may try one.

P Backus

Anyone have a Waldon wheel loader?
I have a Waldon 4500B. It is articulated like a big loader, so it is easy on the turf, but is really similar in capacity to a larger skid.

I built the pallet forks for it and that made it much handier. The bucket is only a little bigger than 4'.

I've been wanting to sell it, but it's unusual enough that I'm having a tough time getting anyone interested even at a smaller price than a used skid of similar capacity.

Anyone else have one, or had one? Did you like it?

Paul

Attachments

• P1010009-1.jpg
    P1010009-1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 5,711

surfer-joe

I ran the crap out of a Walden back in 1982 in Colorado. Was working for a western slope asphalt outfit and we used that loader for everything around the paving spread from excavating to cleanup to charging the paver. I see a lot of outfits today using skid steers with paving spreads, but they travel so slow compared to the loader.

This one had the Ford industrial smoker -- er -- I mean diesel engine. Hydrostatic drive train, and barely any brakes. This one would load tandem dumps albeit carefully. Had quite a bit of break-out force, but lift was slow. I'm fairly certain it was the 4500 model.

When we paved the new Union Oil refinery in Parachute, I carried tons of asphalt into the plant with it around all the piping and other stuff in the way of the paver. Had to charge the paver in many places because the trucks couldn't lift their dump boxes high enough to dump into the hopper. (overhead pipes and catwalks in the way)

It wasn't a bad little loader other than it would bounce like crazy going down the road at full speed, was very noisy, and it did smoke like crazy. Two 4500B's sold a year ago in Texas at Ritchie’s, one went for 3000 bucks, the other for 800 which was a parts only sale.

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist

For a rundown on what's new in the category and a quick jump to a page that will allow you to compare specifications, go to http://www.constructionequipment.com/Equipment/24110.html

Click the link under Tractor Loaders Specifications to get to the comparison table.

If you are buying used, go to Spec Check's home page, click Non-Current models then select Earthmoving - Loaders - Tractor Loaders, and you'll get a list of all the manufacturers for which Spec Check has tracked skip-loader specs over the last 5 or 6 years.

crazycajun

last time i used one it was a case "LL" as soon as you would raise the bucket five feet it would tip over...

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
What do you think of that Gyrotrack?

I spent some time with their people at a trade show early this year, but never did get a feel for where their machines fall in the price leader-to-premium range. What other types of machines have you had? How do they compare?

Thanks,

Larry

okumaguru

small Hough

I know where there is a small Hough loader near St Louis for $1500.00.
The value of a loader is what the purchaser is willing to pay.
Tim