• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mini Excavator Motor Oil

Kenskip1

OK, So yesterday I took a trip to a Case dealership.We talked price ext. I was asking about maintenance. Motor oil, grease, filters bla bla bla.Well the salesman asked the man behind the counter.This is when the **** hit the fan.I asked about filters. he told me that Baldwin filters are what is recommended.I asked about Wix. BTW,I am a long time Wix user and will continue to be so.He showed his ignorance telling me that the Wix brand does not meet the requirements that Case requires.I asked him to show me some sort of documentation. My request went unanswered.So next I asked about motor oil.He immediately told me not to use Rotella.He said that mini excavators do not work well with this. I told him that many over the road trucks use this with great reviews.Now I am getting hot.Show me some scientific data I thundered.Until I see this all you have is hearsay.Well now his face is turning red, his veins are showing in his neck.So I don't think that I am now welcome to this dealership.Anyway I told the salesman what I thought about his coworker. Anyway I will see my Yanmar dealer next week. So what would be a quality motor oil,fuel, and air filter to use in a new machine? The machine is a three cylinder diesel.Thanks.I just have to call a spade a spade. I dislike it when someone spouts off with information without some sort of evidence to back up there claim.Thanks for letting me vent!

Ct Farmer

The thing do would be to see what fluids/grease they reccomend, gets the specs on it and then compare it to what you want to use or can get. If it meets or exceeds it, has all the proper additives, you should be good to go.

We use one hydraulic oil for everything, Chevron Rando HD. Not at all inexpensive but very good oil and exceeds requirements for all our machines. Grease is usually Schaefer 238 for all pins, bushings and slow speed bearings. Coolant is CAT ELC in everything except a few old machines still running the green stuff. As for motor oil we usually run a full synthetic from several manufacturers. Just depends on price when we need a barrel. We usually use Rotella conventional as a break in oil then switch to synthetic.

Filters are either OEM, Baldwin, Wix or Donaldson, as long the micron rate is the same, we have had none of these brands go bad.

Just be careful of some fluids that require specific additives, like Case TCH. Does it really matter? Who knows, but I am not going to test it out with my machines.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
No idea about Case but I prefer manufacturers who simply state that the oil for whatever system must meet a certain spec rather than listing oil varieties from a number of manufacturers. Once you have an oil that meets the required spec for any given compartment it's simply a case of determining what viscosity is required based on the ambient temperature range for cold starting. My 2c. YMMV.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I use Fleetguard primarily for all my Case machines, that I buy at the Case dealership. Sometimes there may not be a cross over, like the skid steer oil filters but primarily everything is Fleetguard. I use Chevron semi synthetic oil. Including in my Taki mini ex that has a Yanmar engine. I have never had an issue with any of it. The Taki has 4K hours on it. I did the same with the other 3 Taki's with Yanmars and they never had an issue either. Case as Nige states simply states the specs for oil and not a brand of oil. I have not added CASE TCH since the last 1800 series machine left the yard decades ago. Why this guy is demanding certain filters or oil is simply his OPINION. The guy who's opinion would mean a whole lot more would be the service manager.

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
Pretty much use baldwin filters and rotella for everything. Havent had an issue yet. I feel the key is to change fluids/filters often enough...... Think any brand that meets manuf. requirements will do.

jbernielh

likewise.. rotella T5 and baldwin filters on my cat 304 and ford 750 backhoe.. Cat calls for 250 hour oil changes.. I do them at 100 which is usually at about 6 months...
Bernie

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
likewise.. rotella T5 and baldwin filters on my cat 304 and ford 750 backhoe.. Cat calls for 250 hour oil changes.. I do them at 100 which is usually at about 6 months...
Bernie
Not to be pedantic but the manual calls for oil changes every 250 hours or 3 months, whichever occurs first. Bearing in mind the usage changing the oil every 6 months should still work fine in your application though.