• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mid Mount wing vs Rear

Blue-Fox

Occupation
Oilfield Owner/Operator
Stumbled across this unit for sale in my shopping adventures. I have always hated the rear mount snow wing. You end up with a heck of a sore neck for a week after running one. I am curious to learn what you folks might know about running this mid mounted wing or one like it. Other than not being able to roll snow from the moldboard to the wing and on out ?? What’s the disadvantages? C791FF99-4386-4368-9E36-DB36B56F8EF8.jpegB100F3A7-D7DF-4D5E-B50F-5078060ECC7A.jpeg6F7AB0B5-6426-4937-B37D-CC8D45B7D7E3.jpegA18784E3-2A0D-4CF0-AF9C-6A78AED6FB29.jpeg

20/80

Occupation
operator
Never seen one mounted like that on a grader, I would say you would have limited movement with the blade for icblading, thinking it would put more pressure on the front pushing your front end over all the time in any amount of snow, rear wing is where the bulk of the weight of the grader is, you may be able to v blade abit better using that style wing plus the blade out the other side with the front plow on, he may have had roads that he could do that all the time on, I don't mind the rear mount wing on mine, I have a mirror that I can keep an Eye on it without turning my head and looking back all the time, seen some operators mount a heated camera looking at the rear wing with the screen mounted in the cab, that works good, saves their neck from getting sore.

Blue-Fox

Occupation
Oilfield Owner/Operator
Never seen one mounted like that on a grader, I would say you would have limited movement with the blade for icblading, thinking it would put more pressure on the front pushing your front end over all the time in any amount of snow, rear wing is where the bulk of the weight of the grader is, you may be able to v blade abit better using that style wing plus the blade out the other side with the front plow on, he may have had roads that he could do that all the time on, I don't mind the rear mount wing on mine, I have a mirror that I can keep an Eye on it without turning my head and looking back all the time, seen some operators mount a heated camera looking at the rear wing with the screen mounted in the cab, that works good, saves their neck from getting sore.
I definitely see the front being pushed around, with our conditions here the banks get heavy and rained on so they get hard to bust and rear end gets pushed around sometimes even with chains on. I have thought about using one of these newer back up cameras on the wing, I think it would make it much less strain on the neck.
The most of the time rear wing isn’t too bad but there’s a few subdivisions that are packed full of street signs, mail boxes, phone boxes, power transformers, guy wires, peoples gates / fences and buried cars that are ditch jewelry and major problems if you mess them up. Those places will give you a sore neck.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Reading your post about "ditch jewelry" reinforces why I'm glad I plow rural, no urban. :)

If plowing at night it's common to cover 50 miles of my roads without seeing another vehicle. 20 mailboxes at most. If winging I have to look out for phone pedestals, maybe 10.

Never saw a wing like that. Would like to see it in action!!!

Blue-Fox

Occupation
Oilfield Owner/Operator
Reading your post about "ditch jewelry" reinforces why I'm glad I plow rural, no urban. :)

If plowing at night it's common to cover 50 miles of my roads without seeing another vehicle. 20 mailboxes at most. If winging I have to look out for phone pedestals, maybe 10.

Never saw a wing like that. Would like to see it in action!!!

I can see where it could be super handy to be out front specifically for being a “winging” machine. I wouldn’t probably want it on there all winter on my daily machine. Speaking of jewelry, Last big storm we had over 5’ of snow fall in 7 days and 40mph winds for 2 of those days. I “found” 3 vehicles abandoned in what appeared to be otherwise flat empty snow drifts. One was upended and overturned with 966… lol. The boro inspectors were not too happy but what are you supposed to do? Get out and snow pole the 55 miles of drifted roads? Nope we plow until something goes bump in the night. ‍♂️

PS, I saw your posts about the Deere D series vs G series machines and all your pics and reports about the overall machine changes really helped me decide I wanted a D series machine in my fleet. I ended up with an 07’ 872D. It’s my first Deere grader and if it does well I’ll be looking for more.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I would say it is used with a front plow. It has the Craig front plow mount, and the drop brackets for a front side delivery. Maybe it is a Craig wing. Yep, and they still make them.
302fm-3.jpg
It's a Craig MG-302 FM front mount wing.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Thinking about it, while useless with the moldboard, the government rented our grader one winter, and they did not want me using the moldboard when plowing. They said it created a slippery condition behind the machine, and they didn't want to use sand until after the storm. I find when using the wing and front plow alone allows snow to fall into the gap and make a mess. I didn't like keeping the grader articulated all the time to fix this, so I would always end up putting the MB down lightly anyway. I don't mind a regular wing. If you use it enough, you develop good judgment as to where it is back there. DOT wanted the snow up and over rails and bridge decks, and I never realized that the wings were designed to fit the shape of the barrier type bridge wall. I had done sub divisions for years with an old Cat14E. No speed required. First time I plowed for DOT, or DTI they call it now, they sent me doing a 90kph, or 55mph road. Supervisor stopped me, said no MB, and said no windrows. He said fast as she will go to throw the snow back. I thought it was great until I threw snow all over the hood of some guys truck parked close to the road. He didn't park so close next time.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army

I can see where it could be super handy to be out front specifically for being a “winging” machine. I wouldn’t probably want it on there all winter on my daily machine. Speaking of jewelry, Last big storm we had over 5’ of snow fall in 7 days and 40mph winds for 2 of those days. I “found” 3 vehicles abandoned in what appeared to be otherwise flat empty snow drifts. One was upended and overturned with 966… lol. The boro inspectors were not too happy but what are you supposed to do? Get out and snow pole the 55 miles of drifted roads? Nope we plow until something goes bump in the night. ‍♂️

PS, I saw your posts about the Deere D series vs G series machines and all your pics and reports about the overall machine changes really helped me decide I wanted a D series machine in my fleet. I ended up with an 07’ 872D. It’s my first Deere grader and if it does well I’ll be looking for more.

I've told this story before, but after reading yours, worth repeating. Trying to V plow a road drifted 6-8ft deep at night. Back up 150ft, get a run at it and ram the plow into the center of the drift. Just before spinning out I'd turn to the left or right to widen the slot. Back up, hit it again. Had been at it for 30 minutes or so. Backed up for another run. As I dropped the plow and started forward I see something glowing in the drift. Stopped just before hitting it. Was the front end of a car!!!! I'd have totaled it!!!! Cleaned away from the front of it and went to another road. Came back the next afternoon and the owner had hand shoveled it out of the drift. :)

Very common for me to see things posted on here and cause me to take action of some sort. Glad you got some value from my thread. Keep us posted on your "new" machine!!!! That would be a beast!!! I'd like to run an 8 series at least once in my life. :)

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Thinking about it, while useless with the moldboard, the government rented our grader one winter, and they did not want me using the moldboard when plowing. They said it created a slippery condition behind the machine, and they didn't want to use sand until after the storm. I find when using the wing and front plow alone allows snow to fall into the gap and make a mess. I didn't like keeping the grader articulated all the time to fix this, so I would always end up putting the MB down lightly anyway. I don't mind a regular wing. If you use it enough, you develop good judgment as to where it is back there. DOT wanted the snow up and over rails and bridge decks, and I never realized that the wings were designed to fit the shape of the barrier type bridge wall. I had done sub divisions for years with an old Cat14E. No speed required. First time I plowed for DOT, or DTI they call it now, they sent me doing a 90kph, or 55mph road. Supervisor stopped me, said no MB, and said no windrows. He said fast as she will go to throw the snow back. I thought it was great until I threw snow all over the hood of some guys truck parked close to the road. He didn't park so close next time.

Great story.

I push at 14-18mph. With heavy wet snow I slow down for mailboxes. The slash coming off the end of the moldboard will knock em flat. :)