• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Michigan loaders

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
A genuine 1500 hrs? Sounds a little suspicious to me. A loader this size is bought to work, and earn the money needed to repay the outlay needed to purchase it - and not be a shed queen.
Do you have any proof of the hours logged? A loader with 1500 hrs on the clock should present as new. Often, many people take hour meters at face value for hour readings.
They are the last item you look at when examining a machine - to see if they correlate with what the machines condition is telling you.

All the 1980's model machines I have come across in this size have all done at least 20,000 hrs - and many have done 60,000 to 80,000 hrs - particularly if they have been on 24/7/365 work.
In the mining industry, many 2 year old machines have 10,000 hrs on the clock.

Last edited:

kangela

YES it is a genuine 1500 hrs.....opps I mean exactly 1,577 hrs.......believe what you may.

This beauty of a machine has been lucky enough to be a Shed Queen for the last decade. My late grandfather used it in his construction company up in Northern Canada - Northwest Territories. When he decided to leave the North he took all machines with him. He never sold a single machine from the construction business when he started his farming operation in Northern Alberta. All the equipment has been left in his estate, most we have now sold. A few key pieces we have kept. A few pieces we have donated to a museum because there were only a few built.
The machine is located in Manning, AB. I will find some photos of it from last year.

I also have a similar machine with a LOT more hours..;)....1978 Clark 475B Wheel Loader with 12,341 hrs. Once again this is original hours. The machine clock hasnt turned over. Also wondering what the asking price should be of one of these.

D_Young_747

Unfortunately for you 475's are a limited market, and the only machines that large being used for work here in Alberta are at fort Mac, where money is no object and of the operators I've talked too wouldn't be interested in an older machine. But there always a certain amount of operations needing to move that much dirt. Of the 475s I looked at the sale price was 15-24 thousand. The biggest thing I've been told is for about 99% of the operations in Alberta there too heavy at 168000 lbs they would have a habit of gettinf stuck all the time. Add in the fact that as I've been told moving them is a complete pain in the ass, and you have a tough sell to Alot of operations. Although I'm
Still interested in having a look at both machines and talking further as I'm one of the guys who needs to
move some dirt.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Kangela - That's good news, and I'm rather surprised that anyone could afford a 475C for a shed queen. However, I guess there's a few people who can afford to have huge sums of money tied up in machines, that are just sitting around.
I was never able to do that - every machine I ever owned, had to work long and hard, all day every day. I like the 475's, they are a favorite loader of mine, I owned 6 of them, but they're all gone to Machinery Heaven now.
All the 475B's and C's I purchased were used machines, mostly ex- a large Salt Company operation. They all had around 15,000-20,000 hrs on them, but a couple had had extensive overhauls before they were sold, too.
They are worth very little nowadays. As an indication, I purchased my last used 475C in 1991 for AU$70K. I purchased one 475B in 1989 for $30K. It looked rough after being on the salt, but I had her sandblasted and painted, and it looked a million dollars.
That 475B worked tirelessly with hardly a break down for over 5 yrs and earned me over a million dollars. She had been overhauled not long before I purchased her, and she was basically in very good condition.

Even with a very low 1500 hrs on your 475C, I'd be surprised if you achieved any more than about $50K for a sale price.
These are an old machine now, parts are becoming more difficult to source, and more importantly, the number of interested purchasers is low in number - because of the loaders huge size making transport costly - and because of the limited applications as to where this machine could be put to work.

metzrs

Hi all, I have seen a video on youtube showing a Michigan 475 D. As far as I know the last model of the series was the 475 C. Does anyone know anything about it?

If you search ''Monsterbagger Rattelsdorf 2/4'' on youtude you can see the videoclip.

Any help would be appreciated.

loggers son

Occupation
shovel logger operator
75 b's

a couple of the old man's from the late seventies and early eighties in Kiangaroa forest, New Zealand

this one ran the 4 cylinder detroit and had what the old man described as "a horrible bloody tin hut for a cab that fell apart after the first six months"

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb22/truckerdj/scan0003-Copy.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb22/truckerdj/Logging02801-05-201008-48-391024x768-1.jpg

the one below had a 6v53 and the newer cab installed at assembly in New Zealand at the old mans request. Dad loved it said it was the best loader he'd had , the assembly plant manager hated it saying they had to custom make so many parts for it , throttle linkages, engine mounts, exhausts, air intakes etc. The dealership admitted after watching it perform, that it was the best clark loader they had sold.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb22/truckerdj/scan0003.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb22/truckerdj/scan0004.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb22/truckerdj/scan0005.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb22/truckerdj/scan0005-Copy.jpg

cheers trev

loggers son

Occupation
shovel logger operator
have spent tens of thousands of hours in different wheel loaders in my life but none have ever come close to that second machine. There was just something about it........

Trev

greggn

Occupation
sandstone quarrier
Here is a Michigan 35A my friend just finished restoring, i believe the machine resides in MA.

We had one like this but with an open cab. We " Lovingly" called it " The Antique" . It was a devil to get in and out of.

Trooper

Hi everyone, I hope I didn't post in the wrong place.

I recently come across the Michigan L190B, its about the same size as Cat 980. I have no idea how old is it, according to Volvo website, this machine was made from 1991. being googling the info of Michigan, it seems this company had been thru many hands. I suppose the older models(175C, 275C, 475) were made by Clark Michigan, how about this L190B? by Volvo? the price of this old machine is only 5 figure Malaysia Ringgit(1MYR = $0.32USD), 3 of the tires are near brand new, the other is 7/10. I recon the tires alone would have worth half of the asking price already. my friend said he could repair the machine as he have experience with smaller Michigan loader before. the only issue here is the PARTS.

from the other thread, I heard Volvo had sold the rights of manufacturing Michigan parts toMinnPar. anyone with experience in sourcing the Michigan parts from MinnPar before? since the machine is in Malaysia, ordering parts from US will take weeks, I hope anyone can tell me how to get the parts in Malaysia/Singapore or around South East Asia.

Pardon me if I didn't follow the rules.

Thanks in advanced.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
Trooper:
You can go on Minnpar web site and get a parts manual for the L190B which has the Clark Trans and Convertor and Cummins engine. I believe that the axles are Volvo with wet disc brakes. This was a time of transition from VME to Volvo Construction machinery. The first true Volvos were the small machines, the large machines were basically Clark Michigan with Volvo decals.

Trooper

Trooper:
You can go on Minnpar web site and get a parts manual for the L190B which has the Clark Trans and Convertor and Cummins engine. I believe that the axles are Volvo with wet disc brakes. This was a time of transition from VME to Volvo Construction machinery. The first true Volvos were the small machines, the large machines were basically Clark Michigan with Volvo decals.

Thanks for the info. :)

MinnPar had replied me, unfortunately, they do not have an authorized dealer in my region. lets hope we can repair it without major parts replacement.