• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Michigan 75a loader

Oldiron

Nice to see the old stuff working we like to make sure our iron has at least 30 years experience. On the alternator conversions if you run a fairly heavey wire from the alt out put post to the power post on the starter you save your wiring from the 60 amp load, the amp meter won't work this way but its much easier on the wiring:Banghead

Northern

Occupation
machinist
The box on the hood, I guess I would call it a gang box, there is a grease gun in there, a BFH, a fire extinguisher and a few hand tools. The 100 amp one wire alternator showed up but now I'm worried that I will get to use the fire extinguisher for the first time when I smell the wires burning, thanks Oldiron. I was planning to run the one wire to the battery, (question) is this not the same as running it to the power post on the starter?

pbean

Thats pretty neat northern when i first got mine i was lookin for pics of the 75 to see how the doors work thats about the best pic of a good cab i have seen thanks i like the side panels on the engine compartment too are the a pain to work on the engine?Does yours have heat?

Northern

Occupation
machinist
The side covers come off easy, they are just hung on a lip on the inside of the hood and two hold downs hold it from lifting up on the bottom, they are also part of the heater along with the puller fan on the engine. The heat comes in from behind the seat. I pull the side covers in the warmer months when in use but put them back on when I park it. Tomorrow I'll put the alternator on and the battery in and do a little testing.

pbean

Thats what mine must of had at one time i wonder if i could find a set of side panels for mine gota be a parts machine somewhere that makes sense about the heat too

Northern

Occupation
machinist
Speaking of a parts machine, I thought I had found one this spring setting behind a building about 30 miles from here, it's been setting there so long that the tires are in the ground just about up to the wheel and when I found the owner, an older retired fellow, I offered to pay him whatever he wanted for it and he just would not let it go. He did tell me to check back with him later. I will

truklodyte

Occupation
equipment opp
In 1982 I helped a friend retore yours big brother the 175.Atleast your hydralic pump is half the size and it doesn't take two people to move into position

rustyjames

Occupation
Construction Project Management
I used to have one of those 75's. I bought it back in the early 80's and sold it (cheap)about 10 years ago. It had a 6cyl. Waukesha diesel in it but it wasn't the original engine. I believe these had 4-71 Detroit's in them, correct?

Komatsu 150

I used to have one of those 75's. I bought it back in the early 80's and sold it (cheap)about 10 years ago. It had a 6cyl. Waukesha diesel in it but it wasn't the original engine. I believe these had 4-71 Detroit's in them, correct?
Actually the original engines were either Waukesha gas or diesel. A lot of different Michigan models were repowered with Detroit. Our 75A still has the diesel. Our 175A was repowered before I bought it with a 4-71. I think the original engine in that may have been a Cummins just judging from where the hood was cut and patched.

On edit: there is no way a 4-71 would fit in a 75A without major surgery, maybe they would have used a 4-53 in the old days.

Last edited:

pbean

you guys Have to check out the video from clawed baxter of the michigan wheel dozer earlier on this post that detroit sounds real good with the straight pipe if you havent already seen it

truklodyte

Occupation
equipment opp
Well the 175b I helped my highschool metal shop teacher with had a factory cummins diesel with straight pipe.The trojan of same year had a 871 in it. I would rather run the Michigan over the trojan straight pipes.

Hoo Gnu

I just bought a Michigan 75a, & cannot seem to find the Serial Number.
I've been told it's inside the cab, to the right & behind of seat, but I can't even see the rivet holes where the plate may have once been attached.
Am I looking in the right place?
Thanks