• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Michigan 75a loader

pbean

100_1018.jpg
More old junk still work good though wakashaw gas engine 4 wheel drive and every thing works needs overhaul smokes a little i use it to load topsoil

Clawed Backster

Tough old machines. I've got an old 280 wheel dozer with an 8V71 that still runs great. There is a post on here about it with a video of it doing a little work. Just look up "Michigan wheel dozer".

pbean

I bought this 2 years ago i was looking for a wheel loader to load topsoil when my bachoe was busy and i found this and it works good and alot cheaper then what i was looking for it will get paint this winter and i will post a new pic .I bet that 8v71 sings haha

Northern

Occupation
machinist
New guy here, Pbean I also have a Michigan 75A, it maybe old but I would not call it junk. It has always started even on the coldest days here in WI. but not today. I have been useing a 12 volt deep cycle battery for the last three year with no problems but today I had to pull it to put it on the charger. I do not care for the positive ground hook up to the battery this loader has. Question can this be change over some how to neg. ground without to much trouble, it dose still have the OEM generator on the engine.

Northern

Bob_S

Occupation
Retired
Deep cycle battery?

Great to see you guys keeping the old Iron working! They were certainly designed for a long life.
Northern, I suggest you use a battery designed for the job. Deep cycles are designed for low current constant loads, as well as to be discharged repeatedly during their life (RV type applications). Equipment and automotive batteries are designed for High current short term loads (starting) with immediate recharge. Either battery will have its life shortened if used in the wrong application.
Bob:)

Last edited:

Komatsu 150

New guy here, Pbean I also have a Michigan 75A, it maybe old but I would not call it junk. It has always started even on the coldest days here in WI. but not today. I have been useing a 12 volt deep cycle battery for the last three year with no problems but today I had to pull it to put it on the charger. I do not care for the positive ground hook up to the battery this loader has. Question can this be change over some how to neg. ground without to much trouble, it dose still have the OEM generator on the engine.

Northern

I did this to ours years ago. Very easy as these type of conversions go. All the gauges will work properly. The starter still turns in the same direction - they don't care about polarity. The generator can be polarized to work as negative ground with a new regulator, but you're far better off to change to an alternator. I used the basic GM car alternator with built in regulator of I think 60 amps or so. The original generator is very small, maybe 20 amps and will not keep up with lights and a heater. We were charging the battery every day after working all night on snow before I changed to an alternator. We ran that basic GM setup for 10 or fifteen years with very little trouble.

Northern

Occupation
machinist
Thank you for the replies, I do have a GM alternator I can use so I just need a good battery and than I should be set to go. I do see I will have to change the pulley on the alternator, it has a narrower belt width then the one on the generator and maybe some work on the mounting brackets. What about the electric fuel pump that is on it, will I have to get a new pump or will the old one work?

pbean

Northern i have a one wire gm alternator on mine it works great and i put it on with out much trouble at all and it was about 60$ i couldnt have got the generator rebuilt for that and your regulator is inside alternator so its less connections to deal width.Your fuel pump should work with either polarity my mechanical pump is leaking thinking about switching to electric fuel pump also would like to see some pics of your loader if you have any

Komatsu 150

Ours is Waukesha diesel although it almost seems like Waukesha used the same block for both as ours has a blocked off mounting point for a gasoline engine style fuel pump. I believe any aftermarket fuel pump with two wires will work if wires are reversed.

Komatsu 150

Northern i have a one wire gm alternator on mine it works great and i put it on with out much trouble at all and it was about 60$ i couldnt have got the generator rebuilt for that and your regulator is inside alternator so its less connections to deal width.Your fuel pump should work with either polarity my mechanical pump is leaking thinking about switching to electric fuel pump also would like to see some pics of your loader if you have any
The original regulator is VERY expensive. I remember paying something like $85.00 and that was many years ago. Positive ground regulators have been scarce for a long time.

Northern

Occupation
machinist
The electric fuel I have has only one wire, I beleave this is a pos. ground pump. I replaced the pump a few years ago with a new one I found on ebay. I do see where a mechanical pump would go, it is covered with a small plate. This is a gasoline waukesha 190GLB and I will posts some pictures soon. I had some pictures on my old computer but none on this one yet. thanks for the help.

Northern

Bob_S

Occupation
Retired
fuel pump

My Allis 715 TLB came with the mechanical lift pump bypassed, and an in line electric fuel pump. It seems to work well, and sure makes bleeding the fuel filters easy. Northern, I suspect you will have to observe polarity, and with a one wire pump that may be a concern. My pump has 2 wires, so I think the case is insulated from ground. At any rate, most auto parts stores stock a low pressure in line fuel pump for about $35. I'm not sure if this procedure is acceptable, so if anyone has any experience with using these pumps on Diesel engines.... please advise.

Komatsu 150

My Allis 715 TLB came with the mechanical lift pump bypassed, and an in line electric fuel pump. It seems to work well, and sure makes bleeding the fuel filters easy. Northern, I suspect you will have to observe polarity, and with a one wire pump that may be a concern. My pump has 2 wires, so I think the case is insulated from ground. At any rate, most auto parts stores stock a low pressure in line fuel pump for about $35. I'm not sure if this procedure is acceptable, so if anyone has any experience with using these pumps on Diesel engines.... please advise.

A lot of trucks came with electric lift pumps. We had a couple of IHs like that and it does make bleeding super easy, especially when a truck driver runs one dry.

pbean

That makes sense i was thinking your fuel pump was two wires but sounds like you might want to look in to a universal fuel pump i always keep an extra one laying around just in case have to rig something up to get something back going temporary

Northern

Occupation
machinist
pbean, I like the idea of the one wire gm alternator, so I have this along with a new battery on my list. Also an extra universal low pressure fuel pump just in case my one wire pump won't pump. I have found out the waukesha 190 gas engine in this loader is the same engine in the oliver super 88 farm tractor.

Northern

Occupation
machinist
I took a few pictures today of my Michigan 75A, I removed the generator and I'm waiting for the little brown truck to bring the one wire alternator.

Attachments

• PIC00038.jpg
    PIC00038.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 3,182
  • PIC00039.jpg
    PIC00039.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,120
  • PIC00042.jpg
    PIC00042.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 2,353