• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Michigan 55a

Bear1

I have an old Michigan loader with the 3-53 Detroit. It runs good, everything works like it should for a fifty year old machine, but I can't keep it ideling. I've adjusted the valves and what not according to the service manual but the idle speed screw doesn't seem to do anything. I've screwed it all the way in and out with the engine running but nothing changes. The engine runs smooth, there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong other then idle speed, so I'm guessing it's governor related. Do the governors on these wear out? Or did I miss something? The governor's a DW-LS. If there is someone who knows more about these any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

lantraxco

Are you sure you're adjusting the idle screw and not the buffer screw? No offense, don't know how much experience you've had with the old screamers. Yes, the governors wear out, anything that moves on a Detroit is worn out before it leaves the factory, LOL.

Bear1

Yes the idle screw. I was keeping it running with the buffer screw, then of course it started speeding up by itself so I had to back the buffer screw out. Is there a way to rebuild the governor or is it just something you replace? I have very little experience with them but I was following the manual. No offense taken. The manual has pretty good pictures fortunately.
Another problem I was moving some snow a couple hours ago and the fan fell off. :mad: It has the older style press in bearing. Is there any way to convert it to the newer style fan bearing? Looks like the radiator's coming out tomorrow. At least I don't have to worry about finding a pail to drain the coolant into. The bearing is good. I had just replaced that last year. Not really sure what's supposed to hold the fan on there.

steve wherley

yes the idle screw. I was keeping it running with the buffer screw, then of course it started speeding up by itself so i had to back the buffer screw out. Is there a way to rebuild the governor or is it just something you replace? I have very little experience with them but i was following the manual. No offense taken. The manual has pretty good pictures fortunately.
Another problem i was moving some snow a couple hours ago and the fan fell off. :mad: It has the older style press in bearing. Is there any way to convert it to the newer style fan bearing? Looks like the radiator's coming out tomorrow. At least i don't have to worry about finding a pail to drain the coolant into. The bearing is good. I had just replaced that last year. Not really sure what's supposed to hold the fan on there.

the most common two type of governors used open link and close but both have a riser bearing at governer wieghts and thr first to fail removing govenor not bad job

kcwis

I am helping a friend who also has a 55a, do you know if it uses two 6 volt batteries or two 12 volt batteries wired in series to make 24 volts,the batteries were missing.

Ryan151

You need to set the governor by the book. It should have a limited speed governor. Very simple and awesome when they are right

kcwis

I have an old Michigan loader with the 3-53 Detroit. It runs good, everything works like it should for a fifty year old machine, but I can't keep it ideling. I've adjusted the valves and what not according to the service manual but the idle speed screw doesn't seem to do anything. I've screwed it all the way in and out with the engine running but nothing changes. The engine runs smooth, there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong other then idle speed, so I'm guessing it's governor related. Do the governors on these wear out? Or did I miss something? The governor's a DW-LS. If there is someone who knows more about these any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I know this is off an old post but I'm looking for battery specs,group number,battery was missing,tray looks long and narrow.

kcwis

The As we're 12. Two sixes in series but a single 12 works fine.
Do you know what group size batteries or cold cranking amps required for a 55a with a 3-53 ? It looks like it has a narrow battery tray for possibly 2 narrow batteries?