• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Michigan 175 Air Brakes with De-clutch

tarmop

Another-it's why there are different diameters of brake chambers-it works on volume rather than high psi.
Although it's probably one of those things where a loader with low speeds doesn't require a relay.

But KS has worked on these I haven't/not questioning his authority more like the Bendix info, because
I have found mistakes before with Bendix listings for air valve applications.

ok. Thanks for the all the info and clarification and the nods to KS
That’s what makes all the good stuff happen in the world.
I am forever grateful when people take time to help me learn …..I must love learning /working on all these old machines cause I can’t seem to stop
Ha ha !

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Interesting. That is a lot of applied pressure. Was that a general Bendix form or one related to Clark?
Because if that was a general form it is incorrect.
I'll see if this will attach:

Attachments

• E-2, E-3 brake valves.pdf
    115.7 KB · Views: 8

kshansen

Occupation
Another-it's why there are different diameters of brake chambers-it works on volume rather than high psi.
Although it's probably one of those things where a loader with low speeds doesn't require a relay.

But KS has worked on these I haven't/not questioning his authority more like the Bendix info, because
I have found mistakes before with Bendix listings for air valve applications.

I could not find any online manuals for the old Michigans but just for kick I spent some time looking at parts break downs on Cat 966C loaders. Maybe a little bigger machine but about the same vintage as the 175. Other than a double check valve to segregate the right and left foot brake valves the only other valves in the system are two quick release valves. One for each axle, front and rear.

With apologies to the original poster for hi-jacking his thread:
I did also check the brake systems on a 980 Cat and sure enough that machine used relay valves front and back. But one thing that someone not familiar with front end Cat loaders would be the fact that the front axle of that machine has two Maxi-brake chambers on each brake camshaft!
980 brakes.JPG
Also if you look close you might notice that the rear brake chambers are a larger size than the ones used on the front!

Truck Shop

And that test statement has been incorrect since it was printed years ago.
Since relay valves have a average cracking psi of 5 psi and the application gage
shows 20 psi it will have 20 psi at air chamber for normal braking. At 70 psi the
brakes are in a full lock up. During a DOT inspection most inspectors will tell
the driver to apply full app of no less than 60 psi when they are checking brake
function.

kshansen

Occupation
Well at least we are not having to deal with air over hydraulic wedge brakes on this loader! Or bladder brakes with hydraulic accumulators like a 988 87A Cat!

kshansen

Occupation
Guess while adding to this thread and probably confusing the original poster I should have included a drawing of the 966C brake system that shows no relays:
966C brakes.JPG
Those two lines in the upper right corner are the out let from air compressor and the line from reservoir to the air governor.

Again Tarmop, sorry about getting off on a bit of a tangent in your thread. Hope you can get this Michigan stopping right. I did not have a bunch of experience on Michigan loader but the first one I worked on was a 475 III A a little bigger than your 175. Actually had to rebuild the transmission in one of those down in Virginia, fun thing is you could completely strip the transmission without removing it from the machine!

Last edited:

mitch504

Company I worked for had a 175, I believe I worked on absolutely every system but the brakes. Never even looked at them! I went to Tampa the week before Christmas and pulled the torque converter to bring home and rebuild, super rich retired Dr who owned the company laid everybody off on Christmas Eve, left the equipment inside Florida Steel.

kshansen

Occupation
Well at least we are not having to deal with air over hydraulic wedge brakes on this loader! Or bladder brakes with hydraulic accumulators like a 988 87A Cat!
I kind of knew Nige would like that(bladder brakes). But to be honest when working those 988A brakes would just about put you through the windshield! As would the parking brake once they went to the dry multidisc to replaced the Bendix drum brake!

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I kind of knew Nige would like that(bladder brakes). But to be honest when working those 988A brakes would just about put you through the windshield! As would the parking brake once they went to the dry multidisc to replaced the Bendix drum brake!
We had those brakes on the front of early 773s as well. F’kin shite they were......

kshansen

Occupation
We had those brakes on the front of early 773s as well. F’kin shite they were......
Yea I believe I worked on a couple of those to. And id did include the disclaimer "when working" in my comment. Trying to remember where it was but recall seeing some military airplane on display and I swear it had brakes that sure looked like those off the 988A Cats. Might have been a 1940's to 1950's vintage bomber?