1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MF loader Backhoe question

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by Norman Shaun Swim, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Norman Shaun Swim

Norman Shaun Swim Member

Hello everybody. I am new to the forum. I am presently looking at an old Massey Ferguson backhoe that I would like to buy. The loader is a 300 and the backhoe portion is a 320. I can't seem to find what the actual tractor is. It is a Perkins diesel I believe. I have supplied a picture to see if that helps anybody. It has a rear main seal leaking and trying to figure it out as to what the seal may be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

3. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

That LOOKS like a 304 or maybe a very early 50? judging from the cast wheel centers front and back. If the injectors are plumb then it's indirect injection, if they're at an angle it's direct injection. Direct injection engine could have a rope rear main seal, or rubber, you'd need the engine serial number I'd guess.

4. Norman Shaun Swim

Norman Shaun Swim Member

5. Norman Shaun Swim

Norman Shaun Swim Member

Ok, thanks for the help. Where is the serial number on the engine?

6. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

I have an MF Industrial book and almost certain it is a 302 if it has a manual shuttle trans. or a 304 if it has an instant reverse trans. Perkins 4-203 engine.

Delmer likes this.
  7. Norman Shaun Swim

Norman Shaun Swim Member

Thanks very much for the help.

8. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

If you haven't bought it already, I remembered the other thing to look out for on those. The engine takes the weight of the front end just like on a farm tractor without frame rails. The loader helps a little, not enough. If that loader is used heavily, maybe at all past the rotation of the front axle, then the engine flexes with the oil pan and starts to leak all over. Or it breaks the bell housing bolts. The 50 had a bracket mounted from the bottom of the bellhousing to the front axle housing to reduce this strain.

Check the oil pan gasket for leaking, the bellhousing bolts for looseness, or new bolts. That contributed to the flexplate I did.

Norman Shaun Swim likes this.