• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MF 70 Automatic transmission trouble

rawaggon51

I have a 74 mf 70 with a 2 speed auto transmission. It always seemed to be slow reacting when put into gear. I just replaced the transmission filter and now it will not move. I removed the filter bowl and filter and started the engine. No fluid came out. It ran until the filter was changed. I was wondering if I had to prime the filter? Any help please.

gregs78cam

I have a '75 MF 70, and I had some problems with the charging pump. I think I have them fixed, I just need to put the pump back on. If you put the pump filter back on and look at it, there is a port in the top of the filter base that is for checking pump/clutch pressure. I would try filling it through that. Good luck.

rawaggon51

Thank you so much. I was wondering what the port was for. My neighbor has heavy equipment and he thought maybe needed primed. but he was not a mechanic, just an operator. After the rain clears I will give your suggestion a try. Thank you

rawaggon51

Greg, I did as you suggested and it moved both directions. I did not drive it as I had the floor pan off. I shut off and replaced the floor pan and not won't move again. What type of fluid do you use in yours? It appears to be tranny fluid in mine such as type F or similar. Thanks.

gregs78cam

Mine has an all season trans and hydraulic fluid. Does your transmission still have the serial number tag on it? I think I am needing torque converter seals and I need the exact model number of the trans to order seals. I am told that it will be in the format of "_ _ HR 28_ _ _"