1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Metric NPT fittings

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Welder Dave, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Has anyone came across NPT pipe plugs using a metric allen key? I have aftermarket rollers and need to add oil to one but the standard 3/16" allen key is too small. I got a 5mm allen key to try that is a little bigger but just wondering if anyone has come across this. I did read that that they can come with a 5mm hex but don't know how common they are.

2. ih100

ih100 Senior Member

Came across the exact same size just a couple of weeks ago. It was a first for me as well, I thought I’d got my sets of Allen keys mixed up.

3. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    If you take a thread gauge to the fitting when you get it out, I think you'll be surprised. For example 1/8 NPT has 27 TPI but 1/8 BSPT is the same diameter but has 28 TPI. Its really hard to tell them apart, even with a thread gauge.

hvy 1ton and excavator like this.
  4. excavator

excavator Senior Member

I've seen broken housings when people don't know this and try to put a NPT in place of a BSPT.

funwithfuel likes this.
  5. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Success! I went out today to see if I could get the plug out. I smacked it a couple times with a center punch and then tapped the 5mm hex key in. It was a snug fit and the plug came out without too much trouble. Now just to get the 00 grease and fill it up... and wait for the weather to smarten up so I can do something. -2C with a strong wind that goes right through you. Glad I put up the pole shed a few years ago. Just being out of the weather makes a huge difference.

Ronsii likes this.