• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Metal building / pole barn owners group...

milon

Look for a supplier that works directly with an installation crew(s). I put up a 40x60 pole shed and it took 6 days start to finish. Could have been done in 5 if they worked longer days but 6 was still really quick. I went to a big farm show to check out different building suppliers. Because I didn't technically have a farm I required trusses on 2ft. centers and engineers drawings that added to the cost. The farm store I went with had the engineers drawings for about half of what any other suppliers wanted. They also worked with 3 crews to put the buildings up which meant they could schedule everything and I didn't have to find a builder. The farm stores closer to me had the building packages and may have been able to recommend builders but didn't work directly with any builders. I not only got the best price on the building by quite a bit but also got the lowest cost engineers drawings and the supplier arranged the whole process giving me a timeline. I was very pleased. They even had a policy that the final payment (paid in 3 installments) wasn't to be paid until myself and the store buildings manager were both completely satisfied. He came out and did some final adjustments to the man door and set the deadbolt and handle locks. The only thing I needed to supply was the 3/4 washed rock that went around the posts. Holes were drilled 24in. and 7ft. deep with 2 bags of quick Crete poured in each hole to make a bottom cookie. Laminated posts had in-ground preserved wood for the portion surrounded by the washed rock. You don't want to cement the posts in. They will soak up the moisture and rot. I built the area up for my shed and it looks brand new almost 8 years later. Luckily there is a gravel pit adjacent to my property that supplied the washed rock. They actually custom crushed it for me because all they had was 5/8" at the time. Engineer spec'd. 3/4" so incase there were any issues I figured it's best to use the 3/4".
The other thing I found when shopping around is many suppliers specify their way of attaching trusses is better than the other suppliers. They are several ways to attach trusses to walls and it's highly unlikely any of them would ever fail under normal circumstances. You have a tornado rip through all bets are off no matter what design was used. Just remembered a couple other features my supplier provides The building is wrapped with house wrap and the ceiling has a membrane applied to help stop condensation from dripping under the metal roof. I've only ever seen it drip once and I think it was because of a weird weather pattern right around freezing temp. Never saw any other signs of it dripping. Most of the other buildings I looked at, I don't think used the house wrap or membrane.
In the context of your 1971 Chevy 1-ton flatbed dually project, comparing a 3/16" rectangular tube to the existing 1/4" C-shaped flat stock, the key factor is the cross-sectional shape. A 3/16" rectangular tube, when properly designed and welded, can offer similar or even greater strength than a 1/4" C-shaped flat stock for automotive frame applications. The inherent strength of a box section (like a rectangular tube) lies in its geometry, which provides resistance to bending and torsional forces. Ensure sound engineering principles, welding quality, and design to maximize the strength and rigidity of the new steel structure. This decision aligns with your steel structure introduction.

Last edited by a moderator:

IceHole

The "garage journal" forum is full of guys building garage/shop/barns and setting them up. Similar to here- in that no advertising is involved. Of course all the info on any forum is worth what you are paying for it.

My personal opinion- drive around your local area, and look at new buildings currently being put up- and find out who's doing it, check with the local lumberyards to see who is putting up their buildings. Local guys plan on building in their local area for years, the fly by night outfits come and go.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
Mostly old timers collecting and polishing tools and "shops" that are cleaner than a hospital with a small handful that actually work on stuff.

Welder Dave

In the context of your 1971 Chevy 1-ton flatbed dually project, comparing a 3/16" rectangular tube to the existing 1/4" C-shaped flat stock, the key factor is the cross-sectional shape. A 3/16" rectangular tube, when properly designed and welded, can offer similar or even greater strength than a 1/4" C-shaped flat stock for automotive frame applications. The inherent strength of a box section (like a rectangular tube) lies in its geometry, which provides resistance to bending and torsional forces. Ensure sound engineering principles, welding quality, and design to maximize the strength and rigidity of the new steel structure. This decision aligns with your steel structure introduction.
???? What does pole shed construction have to do with vehicle frames?? I don't have a flatbed dually project but do know that tube is stronger than channel even if the wall thickness is a little less.

Legdoc

Some manufacturers will sell direct. I mean a real manufacturer, not a marketer. I purchased a 50'X75' Whirlwind directly and had a local contractor erect it. I am in the process of finishing it now.

JAKES.

I belong to the Farm shop ideas group (previously mentioned) on FB. there are some good tips and tricks shared on the building science (moisture and thermal bridging) that are important to understand when planning a building and site. My shop is constructed from a combination of salvaged materials from buildings I have assisted in renovating/remodeling/demolishing (my wife says I am A cheapskate!?) But if I could go out and buy one my choice would be a Quonsett style building. I helped put one up last fall and was impressed by the pre-stressed steel sections and ruggedness of the completed structure and a assotment of end wall options and finish options offered by the manufacturer. I have seen good deals offered at local state fair sales displays on the quonsett huts.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I belong to the Farm shop ideas group (previously mentioned) on FB. there are some good tips and tricks shared on the building science (moisture and thermal bridging) that are important to understand when planning a building and site. My shop is constructed from a combination of salvaged materials from buildings I have assisted in renovating/remodeling/demolishing (my wife says I am A cheapskate!?) But if I could go out and buy one my choice would be a Quonsett style building. I helped put one up last fall and was impressed by the pre-stressed steel sections and ruggedness of the completed structure and a assotment of end wall options and finish options offered by the manufacturer. I have seen good deals offered at local state fair sales displays on the quonsett huts.
Built this from cheapskate materials... Puts a Quonset to shame on room availability/usability.

emmett518

When i looked into that world, I was warned that the salesmen for these metal buildings were worse than used car sales droids. The industry is really sleazy, and you have to be very careful when making a purchase.

aighead

emmett, I found a lot of ads for very favorable pricing, until I was getting a real quote those prices went up quickly. When I found a local supplier and went and visited them I found them to be a treat, but I feel like it was likely a rare experience.

Welder Dave

I went to a farm show and talked to a few building suppliers. Most were ridiculous for prices on engineered drawings that I required because I wasn't technically a farm. Anywhere from $4-$6000. They all claim their buildings are built better. I went with a Co-op that had the best base price, building crews they worked with and much more reasonable engineered drawings. They said about $2500 depending and got it down to around $2000. I'm very happy with my decision.