• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Messing with a bad parts guy

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
Hey gang, I searched and didn't find anything on this. We recently hired an awful parts guy. He can't tell metric from standard bolts in bins and hasn't ever heard of cross referencing filters. I think he lied on his resume and now everyone involved in hiring him is too embarrassed to admit it. First we gave him a chance, then we just started getting pissed off, but now we've realized a better solution is just to mess with him. My coworker started it when he set a spark plug on the counter and asked him to order a new "fire injector"- he called NAPA and did. Today I had him call our welding supply and let them know our plasma cutter was out of plasma. Can you guys think of some others I can try?

PS Suprise! every time I go to the counter he's playing on his phone, I guess that's just the new normal

heymccall

Screenshot_20180509-180938.png Go to kalecoauto .com for more ideas.
I kept the local Napa's new hire going for 1/2 hr looking for blinker fluid, then turn signal fluid...he even called the Napa's techline.

hvy 1ton

I messed with my little brother the first time we drank together. (Quite) A few drinks in I kept telling him he needed a left handed bottle opener for craft beer.

Tags

Maybe tell him some of the stuff in the yard is hard to start and you'd like him to order a "can of compression" for you...

DIYDAVE

There's a whole raft of ideers in this one, including the turbo encabulator, itself...

Old Doug

This maybe funny to some but guys like this is a big part of why i want out of the mechanic world. I would get who is in charge of fireing and make him do his job and fire this guy.Sorry but i have to deal with guys like him every day.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If he has made his probationary period the apologists in HR will make it impossible. If he hasn't it will take a dozen pages of toilet paper to send him down the road and the person who did the hire will be insulted in front of their bosses. Since the HR person is protected as they likely have their probationary period passed, you have two options. Make the new hire quit or train him to do the job right.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I had a building FULL of them.. & the boss's just stood by & watched.. nothing got done, they didn't get better & I didn't get anymore money for doing the extra work.. so I left.. [after 20+ years, lol}
They either become butt buddies w/ the management or they get alienated.. they rarely get "good".
Took us 5 YEARS to get rid of the last parts idiot they hired.. AND they didn't fire him.!! He went and "FOUND" a better job.. Lol
Last I heard, it didn't take the new place but a week to figure him out & sent him packin'..
Last I heard he was a "parts runner" for the local NAPA..
He "found" a better job alright.. went from makin 1000.00 aweek, sittin on his azz>> to driving a truck for afew bucks an hr. Right where he belonged in my opinion..

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
All kidding aside, Are you working flat rate or hourly? If you're working hourly why not have a conversation with a guy explain what hes doing wrong and maybe offer to teach him. Of course I say this not knowing what kind of person he is or what kind of time you have. We had a revolving door policy for our parts people they came they went I constantly had to teach them some were very good picked it up very well others as useless as well you know tits on a bull

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
Once again this forum had proven to be both hilarious and insightful. Maybe it's a side note to the Aging thread, but each year I seem less willing to put time and effort into helping a newbie, at least one addicted to their phone. As a compromise I'll try to help him as I try some of these great pranks!

DIYDAVE

Yeah them cat scans and lab reports, DO add up!

A woman brought a very limp parrot into a veterinary hospital. As she lay her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird's chest. After a moment or two, the Vet shook his head sadly and said, "I'm so sorry, Polly has passed
away."

The distressed owner wailed, "Are you sure? I mean, you haven't done any testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something."

The vet rolled his eyes, shrugged, turned and left the room returning a few moments later with beautiful black Labrador. As the bird's owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table and sniffed the dead parrot from top to bottom. He then looked at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head.

The vet led the dog out but returned a few moments later with a cat. The cat jumped up and also sniffed delicately at the ex-bird. The cat sat back, shook its head, meowed and ran out of the room. The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry; but like I said, your parrot is most definitely, 100% certifiably ...dead."

He then turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill which he handed to the woman. The parrot's owner, still in shock, took the bill. "$150!" she cried. "$150 just to tell me my bird is dead?!"

The vet shrugged. "If you'd taken my word for it, the bill would only have been $20, but with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan, what did you expect?"