• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Merlo telehandlers.

farmerleach

My neighbor is looking at one of these Merlo Multifarmer telehandlers. They seem to be a good unit looking at one on the dealers lot. For a farm they seem like they would be more versatile being they have a PTO and three point hitch.

My question's are, Does any one have any experience with these machines, or machines from this company? How reliable are they? Is the hydrostatic transmission as good as or better than a torque converter setup?

http://www.merlo.it/e_prodotti/MF_30_6_T.htm

icestationzebra

Having worked for several telehandler companies I have heard of Merlo, but can't say if they are bad or good. European machines of this type are generally made to handle lots of digging, etc. so I that shouldn't be a bid deal. They didn't say if the forks stay level while lifting/lowering which would be a big help if he plans on doing a lot of material handling. Deutz engines are OK.

I would be a little cautious about their in-house designed axles as that is generally an area of weakness in this kind of machine, and being a Merlo design means you can only get parts from one place. :cool2 I would also not recommend plowing with a hydrostatic transmission - creates a lot of heat and can eat fuel depending on the efficiencies. IH tried that back in the late 70's and quickly dropped it.

ISZ

farmerleach

Thanks for the information. Buddy got a quote on one of these machines yesterday, and Holly cow they are pricey. it was right in the 150k range, which is about 25-30k more than a well equipped front wheel assist tractor with a loader. So he is going to go the tractor route.