• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Drove that 1997 Pete for a short time, and have the KW for now, drove intermittently the Petes and IH at the Local yard never cared for any of those. KW is a treat for those never been in a Semi, tight cab, not much leg or shoulder room but can appreciate the visibility from it. SHOULD I ever upgrade would be to one of the newer open backs with a Aerodyne bunk, Cab is for operation day to day on the road so size does not matter, bunk is for parked time where the newer cabs allow more seat rear adjust distance and access to the bunk.

Truck Shop

I've said it before many times dump trucks are nothing more than a necessary evil.
Right along with grain trucks there's no money in it. When it comes to OTR if there
is 10 trucks 1 to 2 will be in the shop with the rest covering expenses. OTR paper
work per year to run 48 averages $6,000. The top expense is wages with benefits,
second fuel, third maintenance, fourth tires. You have to be cracking $2.35 a mile
to make it. Average total cost to operate for a year is $180,000 for a OO.

Truck Shop

Need to get some fuel/batteries put tarp strap on to hold throttle WFO so when it starts it explodes.
One less. Didn't I say I hate Detroits.:)IMG_20230326_104140.jpg

Truck Shop

Still has the factory chicken cheater sticks with signals, you know those just make Pennsylvania
Mack owners jealous. A huge fight broke out last year at Macungie over a set of those.:D

Truck Shop

From what I have seen OTR looks worse than dump trucking, but again, I am not in it.
Agree with Crane Op, I make my money with my excavator, the truck is mostly for dragging it around.
Most all of the trucking business was profitable at one time. Carter championed it Reagan
implemented it--Deregulation. Before that happened in 1980, a small owner operator could
make a decent go at it. The regulated freight kept the {everybody and their brother outfits
out of it}. A guy could even make a go of it with a dump truck many did.
You had to have a permit for any and every type of commodity/freight. You had to apply for
it under ICC and other trucking companies could contest it. It kept the loads at steady level
and rates at a respectable level. There were permits for household goods, fresh farm goods
and dairy. When I bought my first truck that 66 351 Pete the original owner showed me
paper work dating back to 1966, fuel receipts for 125 gallons at 0.20 a gallon. Insurance was
a mere trifle compared to today. And yes trucks were running all 48 in those days. You could
afford to have a set down meal at a diner everyday. That's what deregulation does, without
the regulations no body makes what they should.
Deregulation put companies like P.I.E. and many like it out of business very slowly, those
freight companies bled out over time. When the regs were dropped the business of slashing
rates became the norm, which led to a family of immigrants all living in one truck-all driving
that truck for a lot lower rate than the average OO. Nothing against immigrants mind you.
It's just a sample of what took place.
With todays on time delivery system and little warehousing, trucks bump the dock and
more often than not can sit up to 24 hrs waiting to unload even though they have appointed
load and unload times. Used as warehouse till there is room inside, that can even happen
to a produce hauler. Hurry up then set and wait. Some drivers get a subsistence pay most
don't.

A little history about the trucking business, a lot more I haven't said. Below is a photo from
the regulated days when a Owner Operator could make a decent living without loosing his
ass.

299775322_2894076777568827_6803010283957978394_n.jpg