• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
A very long day. I had 2 of them when i was just out of school but i never thought about taking a picture of them.
It's like the nostalgia for the 2 cycle, everybody wants to run them now, but back when they were actually a thing, anybody driving one wished the buyer had ordered the truck with a Cat or Cummins instead.

Truck Shop

It's like the nostalgia for the 2 cycle, everybody wants to run them now, but back when they were actually a thing, anybody driving one wished the buyer had ordered the truck with a Cat or Cummins instead.
Fleets bought Detroit's because it cost roughly $2,000 less per unit, In those days it was all about
less weight and cheapness.
The reason a owner operator bought a Detroit was because he couldn't afford a Cummins or Cat,
back to cheapness.
In the 50's and 60's Detroit had 70 percent of engine sales for fleets. When the Big Cams and
1693's hit the market Detroit's percentage dropped to 50%. What really killed the on highway
leaker was the 8V92 00. Buy the time the Silver arrived the damage was done, Detroit's share
dropped to 20%. Then along came the Series 60 which paved the way for electronic and saved
Detroit.