• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Super sized Corn Queen, Eerily similar to the Hendricksons built that era on CQ Cabs.
The only thing they lacked was interior room. Drove one like that once watering roads as a kid. Seemed like you scraped your knuckles on the door post when you were steering it and even as a scrawny 140 pounder, I didn't have much room between the steering wheel and the seat. The thing had dual power steering boxes and really only needed a 20" steering wheel. But the 22" wheel seemed to be the standard.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I did see a dirty dozen on craigslist not to far from where i am just a couple days ago did`nt pay to much attn. to it think the price was 1200. add.did not say whether it ran or not
Had a 12V71 from a dead genset offered to me about 3 years ago, low hours on a full out of frame... for a whole grand. Silly me, I passed. :(

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Oh the Horror!! The 90Nuthin, 900 cubic Inches with 3 working cylinders!! Was glad to hear the old CQ did not have a DV550 in it!! MODOT really liked those, saw a few come out in surplus sales, makes my eye twitch thinking of them!!
DV550... What a pile. I worked for an outfit that had an ex-Garrett IH Cargostar that we used for a yard goat. What an eyeburner, the "idle on 4 cylinders, run on 8" probably did not help.
Knew a guy that had a 1468 Farmall with the 550 V-8, he had his pump redone to run on 8 all the time. It sounded a lot smoother and ran pretty well in the tractor pulls (stock class, no other modifications).

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
First one I dealt with was a harbinger of doom, damn rock hauler bought four more. We did the pump rebuilds to run on eight, also delete on the intake 'Swirl Eliminators', ran about similar to a 1160 CAT and pretty well oil slobbering piles. As they died so too the trucks, hauled off for junk, had the old Corn Queen riveted ring gear 34,000 rears, Hendrickson spring rides, always chasing bushings, broken leaves saw two spin off ring gears in the Front diffs, eat the housings all to hell, all in all not worth what he gave for old Salt Spreaders.