• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I never got a chance to try driving one of those old Macks with multiple gear shifters. I did ride with a guy in one back in the 70's. he was hauling coal flyash at a power plant, to an onsite dump nearby. As I recall, he shifted about 21 times in only 2 miles. I remember being amazed at how he was able to shift two levers at a time using both hands and steering with his knee.
Jeff

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That Kidney mangling mess was what the '74 A-car I hauled fuel with had, Gawd Awful as I do not believe that donut ever gave up any movement. WB was about 1/3 of that unit. Cabs on the Lease company Frt Shkrs in SLC when I worked there had that exhaust stack corner reverse.

mekanik

One of the band councils near me had the identical Hayes Clipper with an 8v71 Detroit in it.
Hayes trucks used to have a long narrow upholstered cover that snapped onto snaps on the firewall to cover the dash opening for noise reduction and it slowed down the dust buildup inside the gauges. The Clipper was the only Hayes I ever saw that still had the cover intact.