• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

mekanik

It the model with the longer hood. A Cummins KT under the hood maybe?
upload_2023-1-28_16-36-16-jpeg.278940

crane operator

I wouldn't think it would be a KT. With what they cost to repair, I would doubt anyone is running daily with one- and this guy is obviously over the roading with the old girl, he's parked right beside a newer freightliner or something with a similar/ matching trailer. I mean- anything is possible, but I would guess 3406 or big cam.

Truck Shop

He had a 3408 in that log truck, rebuilt it twice in it's life and but the electric motor in when it was due for a third one. Smart move.

Gayle my old shop partner pulled the 3408 out of his 85 359 EXHD in 99 after the second, installed
a 3406 6TS-best thing he did.

Old Doug

They had some twin engine Euclids were i worked. I was there a while back and there was still some parts laying in the scrap yard . I was there Saturday getting some truck frame i got to talk to the owner and he told me about the last one they had. They had a small truck and lowboy and a farmer close buy had a lowboy. They would pull them side buy side and drive it up on them and split it. But when they sold it the new owner hauled it off in one load with the 16 foot blade on.

Old Doug

I saw a film in science class . They ground coal into a powder placed a pile of it next to a candle then had a air hose from a tire pump hooked to the hose . It was very impressive.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That is how the fluidized bed boilers work.
Grind coal to face powder, then use force draft fan air to blow into the boiler.
Coal never sets to grates but burns in a roiling boiling ball of fire mid position of boiler box. Adjust air flows to get it pretty well centered. FD Fan Intermediate Air Fan and Flue Scavenge Air Fan

Old Doug

That is how the fluidized bed boilers work.
Grind coal to face powder, then use force draft fan air to blow into the boiler.
Coal never sets to grates but burns in a roiling boiling ball of fire mid position of boiler box. Adjust air flows to get it pretty well centered. FD Fan Intermediate Air Fan and Flue Scavenge Air Fan
That must make a loud noise at start up?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Is all loud. Start on waste and old fuel oil blend then swap into Coal. Amazing to watch a boiler roll up. Have to start on Low Fire, on oil that would be around 250-400gpm getting some heat up. Start coal into mills and feed into ducting then into boiler again on a low fire rate. As get box area and super heat sections up to around 500 degrees then start ramp up, At Labadie starting coal is around .1ton per minute ramp up gets it closer to power delivery as steam load starts to build and the water walls start gaining heat.
Each boiler at Labadie burns some 3800 tons in 24 hours generating 625mw electric each. 160-180 rail cars of PRB coal blended with S. Il hard coal to keep the heat up every 24 hours.