• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That reminded me of back when the funeral homes hearse were also used as ambulances. It was scary when i was young you saw a hearse at a house and tried to figure out why it was there. My dad worked for the RR and was gone alot we lived in the country one night we woke up and the hearse/ambulance was in the drive they were at the wrong house and lost.

It's convenient, if they did not make it to the hospital you could just close the doors back up and go to the mortuary.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Dad bought the funeral home in our snall town in '69, yup, he was also the local ambulance service.
Life or death call, you were dead. First aid kit and oxygen were all that was on board.
First you hoped someone ansered the phone. 2nd you hoped the old pos Caddy hearse started. Once in you were on your own until dad made it to the hospital.
Most calls, people were already gone.
Several years later we got a publically funded ambulance service 5 miles away. Dad was happier than a fly on fresh stink.
Then he was only bothered for transport of those that were already gone.

Ed

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
A tanker for Coaldust-he needs to pull a VK-IP on this White.

View attachment 277998

Maybe you should inquire about selling a kidney next time you're at the doc to cover some expenses, we know yur liver aint worth a $hit.

Have to know that machine ONLY has brakes on Drive axle, nothing as to Trailer, MAYBE on drop axle. Would not have made much speed but downhill would have been distressing!!!

56wrench

I hear ya. Not really a fan of rat rods. I’ve seen a couple that were well done but most are a bunch of junk welded and slapped together that would be unsafe to drive and the craftsmanship was worse than the worst farmer-fix:eek:

Truck Shop

Had a guy wanted to rat rod my KB5 ,just couldnt sell it to him and see that happen.

IMHO--It doesn't take much talent to build a worthless rat rod. A high percentage is just some scabbed
together garbage, zero self challenge. But the worst of it is when a very uncommon vehicle is used in
that manner---Once it's gone, it's really destroying a piece of transportation history that can't be brought
back.