• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Old Doug

The IH engines back in the 30s and 40s seemed to be well built but were they any good ? For as heavy as the 60s and 70s engines were they didnt seem very durable . If you saw a IH in a fence row 90% of the time it had a bad engine with low miles.

dieseldog5.9

Hopefully the Hood Stretcher put assist on that heavy b*****d, never liked popping one of the normal ones up, that one would be a bear.
Kelowna Cabs were rust monsters, Wonder how many are still out there NOT Swiss Cheeze.
I believe those cabs were made by the corprate cab company, Autocar, Diamond Reo, White and a few others used that cab. The early versions were short doors and short roof, then what some call the bubble top in the late 70's early 80's, short doors but more roof, my 81 western star I would have to duck down to look out the window, but have more than a foot over my head. Somewhere around 84 western star used a taller door that went higher into the bubbled roof helping with visability.

Assuming this changed happened when White Motor Company Split off Western Star to employees in Kelowna in 1983. I believe this is also when Autocar moved to Utah.

Truck Shop

There are a lot of different stories about Western Star. When it comes to that cab-White owned Autocar,
REO, Diamond REO, and Western Star which came to life 1967 in Kelowna and Western Star headquarters
were in Cleveland Ohio at White. But some stories online or passed down don't line up. Star used the shorter
cab until 86, 87 IIRC.
This story I fine interesting/and more than likely correct, because Western Star struggled.

https://www.trucknews.com/features/western-stars-kelowna-roots-still-evident-today/

525isx

Occupation
log trucker
There are a lot of different stories about Western Star. When it comes to that cab-White owned Autocar,
REO, Diamond REO, and Western Star which came to life 1967 in Kelowna and Western Star headquarters
were in Cleveland Ohio at White. But some stories online or passed down don't line up. Star used the shorter
cab until 86, 87 IIRC.
This story I fine interesting/and more than likely correct, because Western Star struggled.

https://www.trucknews.com/features/western-stars-kelowna-roots-still-evident-today/
a friend had a '70 diamond reo log truck that cab was tight,no rattles when i rode in it early '80s- i always liked the looks of early 70s western stars even though dad had a kenworth !