• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

crane operator

Okay, enough pretty trucks, who's up for a ride in this fine creature? 6v53, 5 speed with 2 speed rear. Single rear axle and nice short wheelbase for that smoooth ride...

Heat wrap on the exhaust, and look at that sweet shifter linkage. There's enough fuel in that big tank to get it further than I would want to drive it. Almost forgot, its got those easy to find 22" tires too.

$3,000 and it could be yours....

I'm not offering delivery for anyone, I won't even go look for anyone......

https://fayar.craigslist.org/hvo/d/international-cargo-star/6450575212.html
00H0H_kEyZkR5Lykx_1200x900.jpg

00000_3C5UCJ6iUaQ_1200x900.jpg

00303_XlQGlNYYQt_1200x900.jpg

01010_fdAOsI8IoIf_1200x900.jpg

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I wonder why the brakes are caged.....in one pic on the ad you can see the cage bolt sticking out.....I'm a buyer at $1,000 for the motor. Although the most green leaker headaches were given to me by a 6v53.....

Truck Shop

Those were true crap wagons. And that one is special dandy!:D I like that chrome axle cover that adds
a speck of true class and show truck quality :).

Truck Shop

Last edited:

crane operator

I saw the brakes were caged, I wondered if they were hoping it would just roll away.

Anyone notice the true dual exhaust? The drivers side is a little short. That's got to be a nice sound with that all steel cab and sitting on top of that engine. I would hope those doors swing open 180 degrees also, or I don't know how you would get into the cab without being a acrobat.

Wasn't someone looking for a short single axle to pull a big excavator on a pintle trailer?

mitch504

That chrome cover is there so you don't notice how many axle studs are rung off flush with the hub.

I started out in something very like that except it had an MV404 gasser. My father bought it brand new, and I just scrapped it this year, when they took his place.

I will say, when I was 9 years old and driving it up and down the the rows so the men could stack hay on the trailer, IT WAS DAMNED COOL!!!!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Now I gotta figure out how to post a pic or 2. I have one of these that's even uglier on spoke wheels with a 4-53, includes bone dry hydraulic brakes. In it's former life it really was a sh!tsreader truck. The engine is sold and as soon as its out truck meets torch. Until then the shop cat sleeps in the cab.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Likely not much. A friend is going to use this engine to repower an early 90's F-350 4x4 dually. That's his project, not mine. The 4-53 runs like a watch and doesn't leak so he should do ok. The old pos was given to me so it's all profit.
I've driven early 70's Chevy C-65's with a 4-53T and those were nothing to write home about. 4-53 NA was what? 130 HP? Probably worked fine for an old slow farm truck.
And due to the 7 or 8 paint layers, who knows what the real history of the old beast is. The engine installation is factory near as I can see.

Tenwheeler

A 4-53 in a truck? What kind of power did that have?
Awesome power! I drove an almost new GMC with one and it had a turbo. 5 and 2 with power steering, air brakes and a 28 ft box. One place I picked up at had a right turn from the stop sign. The grade was At least 7%. Twist it up in 1L to the stratosphere, get it straight and split to 1H. Twist it again and shift to 2L. If that shift took three seconds it would steady loose RPM and stall. Set the parking brake and back to 1L. Load the clutch and start again in four lane city traffic. AWESOME!
It did OK on the highway.

Truck Shop

Being a gasser it was probably a municipal vehicle at one time. The cab and hood look fairly nice and the frame isn't a rust bucket that I can see.
The hood emblems are worth $600 on their own. Plus it has Minnesota Mag Wheels.:)

Truck Shop

Truck Shop

Working on a pen and ink of this Superliner Mack for a fellow on another forum. It has allot of detail to cover with the added pin stripping and air brush work.
Typical of eastern Mack owners, they really spruce them up. I will post the pic when done.

Truck Shop

post-13513-0-32668600-1359481023_thumb.jpg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Being a gasser it was probably a municipal vehicle at one time. The cab and hood look fairly nice and the frame isn't a rust bucket that I can see.
The hood emblems are worth $600 on their own. Plus it has Minnesota Mag Wheels.:)

Truck Shop
One of the farms up this way had 2 identical REOs just like that with Budd wheels, both powered with 391 Ford engines. I never got much of a history to go with them but the engines appeared to be factory installed.

Truck Shop

Those could have been factory with 391's. In Dec of 74 Diamond REO went bankrupt and to complete what they had left they probably installed some other engines.
The Gold Comet was the factory engine up to 440 cu.in. V8 . White used some Comets also. A company bought D/R and built a few trucks a day up into the ninties.
That one above was one of the last being a 1975.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Those could have been factory with 391's. In Dec of 74 Diamond REO went bankrupt and to complete what they had left they probably installed some other engines.
The Gold Comet was the factory engine up to 440 cu.in. V8 . White used some Comets also. A company bought D/R and built a few trucks a day up into the ninties.
That one above was one of the last being a 1975.

Truck Shop
1974-75 sounds about right for these. 391, 5x4, air brakes and power steering. They were nice trucks for short hauls with a 20' spud box. If I get a chance I'll take a look soon. IIRC one of them was out along Beverly-Burke road south of George about a year ago. Didn't look to be in use.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

For anyone wanting to go into the logging biz here's a late fifties Hayes for sale in Bend Or. Won't find a better one anywhere with this low mileage and left over warranty.

Truck Shop

01515_c4XEUNB7Nw3_600x450.jpg