• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
LJs and LTs were the better looking bulldogs yet looked loke everything else is why I suspect the B was the most constructed.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
1951 Cummins V12 1486 cu.in. Basically two 743's. With the Kenworth three man cab. Look at the trucks
in the back ground.

View attachment 264867
That car, fast back, by the right rear of the truck looks like the old 1950 Buick Special I had on the early 1970's. Bought it of an old lady who I mowed the lawn for, recall I paid $25.00 it had been sitting in her back yard for a couple years. While towing it home behind dad's pick-up decided to put the Dyaflow transmission in gear to see if it would turn over. To my surprise it started to turn over and in a couple seconds was running smooth as can be.

Truck Shop

That car, fast back, by the right rear of the truck looks like the old 1950 Buick Special I had on the early 1970's. Bought it of an old lady who I mowed the lawn for, recall I paid $25.00 it had been sitting in her back yard for a couple years. While towing it home behind dad's pick-up decided to put the Dyaflow transmission in gear to see if it would turn over. To my surprise it started to turn over and in a couple seconds was running smooth as can be.

Straight 8?

kshansen

Occupation
Straight 8?
Yep good old straight 8 really the only reason I got rid of it was the reverse went in the transmission and I did not have the time or place to work on it. It even had hands free starting, just turn on key and push down on the gas peddle, there was a switch on the carb and a relay that engaged the starter. Forgetting what kept it from engaging once it was running, maybe a normally closed relay that worked off the generator output? Or possibly a switch on the transmission to delete the starting circuit when shifted out of neutral. It has been half a century since I saw that car so I'm a bit fuzzy on some details!

Truck Shop

I'm a bit fuzzy on some details!

Funny story my first boss told me about that involved one of those Buicks. Happened in the 50's.

This guy named Slim that worked in a repair shop in my old home town was working under the dash
of a 50 Buick. Had his legs up over the back of the front seat, he was a true bean pole. Anyway he
shorted out something under the dash--it fired. He had accidently knocked the shifter into reverse.
It left rubber marks as it flew through the garage doors wide open because he was pinned to the floor
because it was in reverse holding the throttle down with his shoulder. It shot across main street and
through the doors of a machine shop across the street and finally stopped by a 16' machine lathe.
which caved in what was left of the ass end of that Buick. Never hit anyone or hit any other cars.

Slim had a stutter from childhood---well he really stuttered after that.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Not had opportunity to see one of those first hand other than in a museum, spooky. Dad's recollections of the Straight 8s was the rear two cylinders steadily ran Hot and were first to fail in a overheat. Torque Monsters!!

crane operator

The KW cast into the hubs is amazing. How they ever made enough of those axles to justify their own castings is beyond me.

But how handy was the passenger door with that exhaust stack? And why couldn't they have put that stack on the other side away from the operator? There's some poor deaf guy in a nursing home with hearing aids, thanks to that 12v71 that was right in his ear for 20 years in a quarry.

kw dump truck (2).jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Not had opportunity to see one of those first hand other than in a museum, spooky. Dad's recollections of the Straight 8s was the rear two cylinders steadily ran Hot and were first to fail in a overheat. Torque Monsters!!
Don't recall having a problem with the overheating. One odd thing was the signal light switch was mounted to the right side of the steering column same side as the shifter. The shift order on the shifter went from park, neutral, drive, low to reverse.

One time while brother was driving on I-90 he signaled to pass a slower car then when he was past that car he went to signal to move over to the right. However he grabbed shift lever by mistake and dropped trany in to low while doing about 70 mph! Shortly after that the rear-end developed a whine. About a week later I found a good used rear axle in local junk yard and replaced it!