• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

Wasn't any produce I hadn't hauled. Strawberries could be the worst. I would put a coffee can
with about a inch of bleach in it and set it on the floor just inside the doors. Run with it till I was
100 miles from drop then remove it, open vent doors to air it out. Kept hair from growing on
the berries. When loading strawberries they all better be on the green side. Shippers liked to
stove pipe the berries-put ripe ones on the bottom of flats and cover with green ones.

Hauling a iced load such as corn on the cob, ice it with layer about 6 inches thick on top open
vent doors to get it melting to cover the floor with ice cold water. Run north to Redding reice
the load shut the vents and haul a$$ to Seattle or Vancouver B.C.. Had a guy bump the dock
next to me at Safeway with iced load of corn from Nogales. Never melted it down and reiced,
the corn on top was blistered from ice the corn on the bottom was cooked from road heat.
Total load was rejected.
Ice Berg lettuce they would squeeze gate it in and rip the shute down everytime.
I did like hauling flowers out of Half Moon Bay, very light and could haul a$$.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
No-have no intention of stretching any hoods on anything. Just don't care much about much. I reread the thread I did on that truck several
times. In the end all it represents is a lot of heartache. I'm glad it's on the other side of the country.
I see that you are no longer a fry cook.
Does star gazing pay better?

Old Doug

I can't hit the like button. For me it would have been like selling one of my kids. After putting time and money into raising them, i hated to see them go
I have a Jeep i did alot of work to it now sets in a vanbox it hasnt seen day light in 2 or 3 years. I should sell it but i know it would be hard to replace but i have several.