• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Would hate to see cornering in that, tied to trailer neck is the mast. SCHWING Batter Batter UP!!!

skyking1

I look at those power lines in the background, and remember how close the old lines used to be. I'd want the whip ball out there where I could see it :)

Old Doug

The flags on the bumper look like the drivers dirty bath towels. With the headlight's plus
road lights he must have liked moving after hours illegally, shy on permits
Negatory on the extra lights running illegal loads after sundown you dont want any thing to draw attention to your self but make sure every thing works that should.

Truck Shop

Negatory?--In those days anything went as long as johnny law wasn't around. ICC permits were hard to get any other trucking company that
had a permit in a area someone was trying to gain a permit in could contest. So there were hot loads moved all the time. As far as the lights, that old girl had a low output generator the standard headlights were like
two candles about to go out. Standard equipment in those days notice the Pete at the top of this page.

Last edited:

skyking1

sounds like the 310 at idle. two whopping 25 amp 24V generators. Idled around 625 and the ammeter would not show positive until you got it to 1000.
One guy had one with the 50's, but no better on the pulley ratio so he turned up the idle. Made things really interesting on a shorter runway. Screw that!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That brings up something I have been meaning to bring up for you more experienced truckers and mechanics.

Idle speed. What was it commonly set at on these old trucks? If my recollection is correct it might be as low as 400-500.

I always liked a lower idle. Made maneuvering easier it seemed.

Truck Shop

Factory set Cummins PT pumps were 575 to 680, but many were set at 525 range with manual steering. With Vickers power steering pumps to
operate with enough flow/psi 625 to 650 was normal. Same with engine oil pressure-dropping the rpm a hundred rpm at idle could really change
engine oil pressure when hot as much as 8 psi on a low mile engine. Which in some cases mechanics failed to check when low psi was a complaint.

Old Doug

I heared storys of getting stopped for no permits and other thing and haveing to spend a night in jail. I live less than a hour from Iowa they ether dont like MO people or are more strict. I dont remember just how it went but Dad went to jail over towing a truck with a chain.