• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

emmett518

And thanks for posting all of these pictures. Old cars don't excite me, but old trucks do.

One question.

Why are the interiors of so many trucks beyond filthy? I guess I understand why dump trucks might be crappy since they are running around dirty, dusty construction sites, but if I was spending 8 hours a day in a truck, I'd want it to be clean, and tidy.

When my backhoe arrived, it was disgusting, even though it was only 6 years old. I spent three weeks with a vacuum, brush and cleaning products getting the interior clean, and the same amount of time with a hose, brush and scraper getting the exterior done.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
And thanks for posting all of these pictures. Old cars don't excite me, but old trucks do.

One question.

Why are the interiors of so many trucks beyond filthy? I guess I understand why dump trucks might be crappy since they are running around dirty, dusty construction sites, but if I was spending 8 hours a day in a truck, I'd want it to be clean, and tidy.

When my backhoe arrived, it was disgusting, even though it was only 6 years old. I spent three weeks with a vacuum, brush and cleaning products getting the interior clean, and the same amount of time with a hose, brush and scraper getting the exterior done.
Agree on the disgusting cabs. One example of one I had to work on at the quarry. Seat removed for repairs of suspension. Not visible is the crap under the seat platform or the crap on the ledge behind the seat! These truck drivers sit in the trucks for 8 to 10 hours a day and walk past a dumpster on the way to their cars at the end of shift!
769C seat.JPG
And this is only the one I took the time to take a picture of, just glad the camera does not save the smells!

skyking1

The 1 ton Duramax I inherited had been smoked in. And eaten in. The boss was embarrassed so he had it detailed but the detail shop was way sub par. I ended up having the driver's seat cushion redone in vinyl, and the things I found underneath that were pretty disgusting.
The headliner was also peeling off, so I had that done and that took a whole lot of the smoke out of the truck. It's greatly reduced just doing those couple of things.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Living in Central NY I grew up seeing the Utica Club commercials on TV:
Shultz and Dooley, a friend of mine had an awesome collection of mugs, steins and other Utica Club collectibles until his kid decided to punt a football inside his basement/ mancave and set off a catastrophic chain reaction that took out a whole wall of shelves and destroyed his "priceless" collection...I actually saw a grown man shed a tear that day....Lucky momma was present or the boy may have died that day...

Truck Shop

Why are the interiors of so many trucks beyond filthy?

That's simple {90% chance it doesn't belong to them}. Truth is 65% of people are pigs-I like saying that because it irritates folks, but true.
15% of our drivers are crusty, filthy beasts. They can absolutely trash and crust out the interior of a brand new truck in 5 days.
When those crust critters leave the average cost to have the cab and sleeper completely cleaned is around $500.00. We have to have them
cleaned for the next new driver-not knowing if he is a crust critter, in some cases the crust should never have been removed because the
next driver is worse than the previous crust critter.
Pop-coffee spilled here and there, bits and pieces of roaster chicken and corn dog crumbs, special pizza toppings. you name it's all over the
place.
Oh, I left out the special present they leave-{A Trucker Bomb or two} gallon jugs full of pi$$. Some trucks are nothing but a homeless shelter.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Shultz and Dooley, a friend of mine had an awesome collection of mugs, steins and other Utica Club collectibles until his kid decided to punt a football inside his basement/ mancave and set off a catastrophic chain reaction that took out a whole wall of shelves and destroyed his "priceless" collection...I actually saw a grown man shed a tear that day....Lucky momma was present or the boy may have died that day...
We had a set of the Shultz and Dooley steins but they were one of the things I lost when I got divorced from first wife back in 1999! I did get to keep the house so guess that was a good trade!;)

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
We have drivers like that in our day cabs absolutely filthy and we have a dumpster we’re you can drive truck and trailer up to and roll your window down to throw your trash out and they are to lazy for that

colson04

The 1 ton Duramax I inherited had been smoked in. And eaten in. The boss was embarrassed so he had it detailed but the detail shop was way sub par. I ended up having the driver's seat cushion redone in vinyl, and the things I found underneath that were pretty disgusting.
The headliner was also peeling off, so I had that done and that took a whole lot of the smoke out of the truck. It's greatly reduced just doing those couple of things.

Go to a rental house and rent an ozone machine. My father in law uses one quite regularly on cars he takes in on trade at his dealership. Works really well at removing all kinds of smells and also disinfects the interior of the vehicle.