1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Memories for us old truckers

Discussion in 'Old Iron!' started by Truck Shop, Feb 26, 2017.

1. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

You weren’t very easily discouraged.

56wrench, Mother Deuce and DMiller like this.
  2. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    It had all the necessities, oil, coolant, volt, air psi, tach and speedo. Manual steering, worn out shock absorber seat. 335 with 10spd-shifter would hit the dog house in 4th/9th
    so cut the insulation off the dog house. In august you had all the heat you could stand and some more.

3. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

Manual steering too boot? And nowadays they can’t go if they can’t plug in a curling iron or their corn dog rotisserie
    :)

56wrench, Mother Deuce and DMiller like this.
  4. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Old Gemmer manual boxes
    Armstrong Steering
    Could steer smooth enough rolling but standing still was stand on the floor pan humped over the wheel and pull!

56wrench, Mother Deuce and DB2 like this.
  5. JPV

JPV Senior Member

What was the deal with all the numbers on the door and all the license plates and why don't you see that anymore?

Truck Shop and Mother Deuce like this.
  6. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

that mess permited you to run through multiple states` most of it went away in late 70s early 80s. now called IRP

DMiller, Truck Shop and Mother Deuce like this.
  7. Mother Deuce

Mother Deuce Senior Member

DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  8. Mother Deuce

A corn dog rotisserie... hmmmm:rolleyes:

DMiller, Truck Shop and DB2 like this.
  9. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    I remember lettering truck doors in those days, the permits for states were listed on the sleeper like the reader board at a Dairy Queen.

JPV and DMiller like this.
  10. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    That Pete is a 48 vintage, and a Hall Scott gas pot.

Mother Deuce and DMiller like this.
  11. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Bingo cards, the Permit catalog kept in the cab, special fuel permit tax stamps Each State ran in, the plates of those states REQUIRING individual license for their state. Then all the Weight Limits and axle limitations to Licensable weights, Bridge Law formulas(NOT always same state to state) kept in that same Sears Roebuck catalog size Permit Encyclopedia. Reciprocity papers to haul CERTAIN commodities written for Each Licensed State operating in and nothing else, times HAVE changed.

Had your work cut out for ya then TS, No decal systems of any merit back then, ALL painted on or painted on sheeting and screwed to cabs.

Truck Shop and JPV like this.
  12. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

When your 17 it is a very wide big cab. I got ask alot when bobtailing if i was scared it would flip over if i hit the brakes hard.

DB2 and 56wrench like this.
  13. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Was 19 in Ft Scott at Midwestern Distribution, Common jokes among the 'Old Guys' was in a Cabover the Driver was First on Scene of the accident, that to NOT lose legs in a wreck pull your legs up above the seat cushion where at the same time could kiss own Azz goodbye!!!! My first Semi was a Super Short wb(IIRC 150" with a Sleeper) 1972 Freight Liner with a 318 DD and a thirteen Speed, Left headlamp bucket was missing so we called it One Eye. NO p/s, NO Johnny Bar, No power and No value except as a yard dog.

DB2 and 56wrench like this.
  14. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
  15. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

The days of the “stack” mirror.

Mother Deuce and DMiller like this.
  16. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    And Sand boxes!!

Mother Deuce and Truck Shop like this.
  17. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    1091 Cu In Hall Scott, there is another complete one to go with this one. Big Zenith brass toilet for a carburetor, wide open even in 90 plus degree heat including all the heat from the engine,
    those carbs would ice up.

100_1582.JPG 100_1581.JPG

18. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

You would get on a hard pull on a damp day going up a hill it would start realy pulling down then hit a leave spot or go down hill and it would warm up till it got in a pull agin. The carburetor would be soild white with frost.

DMiller and JPV like this.
  19. Mother Deuce

Koehring 1205 move
    B37AA573-D9F5-47FF-BC08-7B220EA97E19.jpeg 391E6163-5B89-45DF-B862-44596BE1ED52.jpeg 86B1A5FC-D0F5-425C-AD0B-9B8CA5145AC2.jpeg 11D25786-1105-4C47-8504-0B658BF4F062.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    72hayes, doublewide, mks and 4 others like this.
  20. Mother Deuce

One more... E0D41438-D461-46B8-A97F-B47ABA98E456.jpeg
    I took this one and posted it here awhile back. It was recently a post I shared with a FB group I belong to and it has to do with the photographic record of our trades:
    In response to Nigel's post about other than IR landscapes. I have a number of IR images that don't fit in the box. This one is titled Bob's Autocar. Some of you will have seen this one as I posted it in another group. Bob was a contractor and collected things he loved. Bob passed away awhile ago. However his family and loved ones keep his collection around in his memory. I work in the same industry as Bob did and I share his interest. I generate images of what many would regard as scrap iron. To me it is a record not only of the iron but the people who ran it. The machinery I operate today is a walk in the park compared to what they had pre 70's. That equipment mostly referred to as "the iron" was mostly operated by "iron" men who coaxed many large projects out of machines that today, would be considered unwieldy and required strength to operate. Strength both physically and mentally to keep a good humor and focus. I give you "Bob's Autocar" I hope you enjoy the image... it is however less about the image than the man who drove it. I can see him in my minds eye. He has a cigar clamped in his teeth, he's about 50 wearing a newsboy hat over greying curly hair. All the windows are open because it is 100 degrees F outside and he is hustling to get the last load of the day. 590nm
    Bob's Autocar.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    72hayes, colson04, petepilot and 8 others like this.