• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Old Doug

I put my truck to work and made some money moveing a storage trailer my brother set me up with this job. He bid it high and told me about it. It was close to Kansas City were the trailer was and it was comeing back closer to me. There are very few guys around that have a truck that will take time out to do somethig like this he was thrilled to see me show up. My brother told me that the trailer was in a bad spot and i may need a tow to get it moved. It was on a hill side pointing the wrong way then i had to go down hill turn around go throw a gate then clime a steep grassy hill to the road. The trailer was loaded and it had a liftgate to add more weight. I got turned around and started to get a run at the hill but it was soft and my truck wouldnt pull in any gear but first so half way up the hill i spun out. The owner had a f350 4x4 with a water tank in the back all most full i had my doubts but it was just what was needed to get me up the hill. I got on the highway and my first thought was this may be more than a 366 wants it was very hilly and curvy it pulled it ok its not a 400 hp Diesel but it also didnt pull the guts out of it.picture (13).pngNot a good picture but i was trying to find a paint that is close to the frame color this is close IH blue

Truck Shop

Little short on the inside liner and the fact he welded it to outside rail is a pretty scary deal. Couldn't afford two 10' formed liners-it all went to paint and worthless fenders. But not mine
so I don't care.

JPV

[] IMG_20200808_112539684.jpgHere is my bosses almost finished product of 3 years of work when there is time. It went down to the frame rails and is turning out good. 1979 W900L with a 3408 and retarder, 18 speed and 46000 lb rearends on AG 460 8 bag suspension. Needs interior and pinstriping plus all the rest of the little things that take lots of time.

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_112522777.jpg
    IMG_20200808_112522777.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 14

Truck Shop

The Eagle is not appealing but at least the guy was trying. Do really like the W900.

I agree he did try on the eagle but the frame is a safety issue and when visiting truck shows you will see more things like that than you can shake a stick at. Hobbyist work that is flat scary.
One show I went to 4 years ago now there was a 359 Pete that was done up like the eagle above. Upon checking out the rear drives I noticed there were no park brake cans on either axle:eek:.
Singles only, the owner had plugged off the QR valve and installed single bladders because he was short on green. It was a show truck but---------------------.

Truck Shop

This W900AL I wanted to rebuild but the guy who owned it just wanted a crazy amount for it with bent rails and a messed up top cab corner. These people think these items are worth
a fortune, but they will never do anything with them because they have no ambition. The amount of time/effort and cash to do one right adds up damn fast, so a person can't pay
much for them. If it is a hulk that's just what it is a hulk and it doesn't mater whether it's a 55 chevy or a maserati . Only fools think it's worth gold.

009.JPG 010.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Would love to gain a 3408 but out of my range just to start on one!! JY has a Nice old A-Car project well underway but once I lose current projects may not be looking to another that big. Time and miles has beaten me pretty hard.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Wow, I can't believe $45,000 for an '86:eek:

Still all mechanical, not much planned obsolescence in that one. Most parts can be repaired by a machinist if you can't get a new one. 1990s trucks might have been better originally but their electronics are starting to get long in the tooth and this one does not depend on electronics to run. Then in the 2000s things started to get over-regulated and have not been the same since.

mitch504

Oh, I have nothing against '80s trucks, I have several that work for their living, but I have always been astonished at what something like that will bring, just because it IS a 359 EXHD. After all, it won't pull any more weight than my POS Volvo, that has one of the last mechanical 3406s. I payed $7500 for it, and I know it has less than 300,000 miles on it, because I know it's whole history.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Not much today not throw away sorry to say
That Pete looks as has been gone thru so has had a lot of coin dropped on it where became a investment looking for that one person that will buy it but they all get old just some better and slower than others.
97 Pete I drove I would not give $20k or even $10k for as knew the wagon, it was tired and coming due for everything, a true money pit.
Been in newer cabs, really pretty really fancy but like the 2017 Exploder I bought the wife have all manner of small interconnected bells whistles special gizmos and toys that if not all playing together play with no one but the wrench at the shop.